How do I disable Blog from showing on Sidebar in new Confluence?

Angela Lin August 11, 2017

How do I disable Blog from showing on Sidebar in new Confluence? I want to modify what shows up on my new Sidebar.

4 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Elaina Cherry February 9, 2018

It looks like they did resolve this and offer a way to turn off the Blog link in the sidebar. As long as you are an admin of that space, hovering over the Sidebar area should reveal a pencil icon near the bottom. After clicking on that, you can reorder the Pages and blog links or remove them.

blog-removal.jpg

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2018

Thanks for the update and tip, Elaina.

Benjamin Mcintire April 6, 2018

How does this work? I'm owner of the space and admin, site-admin and I don't have this functionality.

Elaina Cherry April 6, 2018

Are you able to see the pencil edit icon in the space's sidebar? Make sure you have fully expanded the left navigation bar, there are a few "layers" of collapsing so drag the right edge over as needed. You also have to be hovering over the sidebar to make the icon show up at the bottom.

Hope that helps!

edit-sidebar.jpg

THANK YOU. Wow they sure do bury that.

Elaina Cherry April 6, 2018

:) They sure do.

Aleksandr Paren June 2, 2018

God bless. Thanks, that some things they do for Cloud instances

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2017

Under space tools you have a configure sidebar where you can remove the Blog link. This will not prevent users from creating blogs. If you want to do that then you need to remove the permission to add/delete blog and disable the blueprint.

Hi Mikael, I believe that was on the older Confluence. The new Confluence, this is what I see in Space tools (attached)confluence.jpg

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2017

Yeah, looks like that option was removed in the cloud version...

Is there a way to remove Blog from the sidebar in the cloud version?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2017

Yes, "you can still add shortcuts to the space sidebar" but you can't add custom content or remove links: Deprecating custom content in the space sidebar

Lucy Minato August 24, 2017

Ann, it's great that you can add shortcuts but the problem for me (and it sounds like for Angela) is that we want to REMOVE items from the sidebar.

We use Confluence for our product documentation and I'm now in a situation where I have items on the sidebar that I don't want my users to have (e.g. Blog) or don't make sense to my users (e.g. Gliffy Diagram). 

Can you please confirm that there is no way to turn these items off for non-logged in users? We are running Confluence Cloud.

sidebar.PNG

Like Davide Gerevini likes this
Jason Tocci August 31, 2017

My team is experiencing the same problem – we had removed the Blog item from old Confluence server because we use Confluence exclusively for public-facing help docs. Now there's an icon to a blog we don't have, and there's no obvious way to remove it. This is confusing to users who show up looking for help documentation.

Is there any way to remove that Blog icon from the sidebar?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2017

I can confirm that we don't provide a way to remove the Blog link from the sidebar in Confluence Cloud. 

We have had a lot of feedback regarding the new look and feel for Confluence Cloud. Please see our response on: Stop testing on us please - No more daily changes!!! 

Thanks for all of your input - it does influence decisions.

1 vote
Boris Kováč April 25, 2019

You'll find the on/off switch here for Cloud version in April 2019:

onoff.png

Beth Tidwell April 30, 2019

When I toggle this off, the blog continues to appear in the sidebar.  I'm able to successfully toggle the calendar off, but not the blog.

0 votes
Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2017

Hi,

With the new Confluence layout, we won't be able to remove the blog from the sidebar. We have created a feature request for this request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-57209

If you think there are specific things in the new design we can address, feel free to click Give feedback in the sidebar to share your thoughts directly with the team. I hope that with your feedback we can keep improving the new Confluence experience. 

Why not answer why the heck do I need comments, likes, or a blog for software documentation?

I want powerful documentation that links to my software project. That's it.

I especially don't want my users getting confused looking at an irrelevant default overview page, or clicking a blog tab that should not ever exist.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events