How do I disable Blog from showing on Sidebar in new Confluence?

How do I disable Blog from showing on Sidebar in new Confluence? I want to modify what shows up on my new Sidebar.

3 answers

2 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Champion Aug 11, 2017

Under space tools you have a configure sidebar where you can remove the Blog link. This will not prevent users from creating blogs. If you want to do that then you need to remove the permission to add/delete blog and disable the blueprint.

Hi Mikael, I believe that was on the older Confluence. The new Confluence, this is what I see in Space tools (attached)confluence.jpg

Mikael Sandberg Community Champion Aug 11, 2017

Yeah, looks like that option was removed in the cloud version...

Is there a way to remove Blog from the sidebar in the cloud version?

Ann Worley Atlassian Team Aug 11, 2017

Yes, "you can still add shortcuts to the space sidebar" but you can't add custom content or remove links: Deprecating custom content in the space sidebar

Ann, it's great that you can add shortcuts but the problem for me (and it sounds like for Angela) is that we want to REMOVE items from the sidebar.

We use Confluence for our product documentation and I'm now in a situation where I have items on the sidebar that I don't want my users to have (e.g. Blog) or don't make sense to my users (e.g. Gliffy Diagram). 

Can you please confirm that there is no way to turn these items off for non-logged in users? We are running Confluence Cloud.

sidebar.PNG

My team is experiencing the same problem – we had removed the Blog item from old Confluence server because we use Confluence exclusively for public-facing help docs. Now there's an icon to a blog we don't have, and there's no obvious way to remove it. This is confusing to users who show up looking for help documentation.

Is there any way to remove that Blog icon from the sidebar?

Ann Worley Atlassian Team Aug 31, 2017

I can confirm that we don't provide a way to remove the Blog link from the sidebar in Confluence Cloud. 

We have had a lot of feedback regarding the new look and feel for Confluence Cloud. Please see our response on: Stop testing on us please - No more daily changes!!! 

Thanks for all of your input - it does influence decisions.

0 vote

Hi,

With the new Confluence layout, we won't be able to remove the blog from the sidebar. We have created a feature request for this request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-57209

If you think there are specific things in the new design we can address, feel free to click Give feedback in the sidebar to share your thoughts directly with the team. I hope that with your feedback we can keep improving the new Confluence experience. 

It looks like they did resolve this and offer a way to turn off the Blog link in the sidebar. As long as you are an admin of that space, hovering over the Sidebar area should reveal a pencil icon near the bottom. After clicking on that, you can reorder the Pages and blog links or remove them.

blog-removal.jpg

Ann Worley Atlassian Team Feb 09, 2018

Thanks for the update and tip, Elaina.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published Friday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

51 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot