How can I migrate from Notion to Confluence data?

Felipe Sánchez December 1, 2020

Is it possible to migrate from Notion to Confluence? How could that be done? Regards.

12 answers

9 votes
장현수 February 2, 2021

I need this migration too.

4 votes
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2021

Hi,

I see many folks asking about a migration from notion to Confluence, but if you think of it with some detail it's a very tough thing to ask. There's not a 1:1 equivalence between what both tools do, so whether a migration is possible or not would depend to a high extent on what type of content you guys have on notion and what are you willing to trade off.

Here are some questions that it would be nice to understand before anyone can think of such a migration.

• Is it just tables?
  • Is there a lot of relational info?
  • Do you also have kanban boards etc?
  • What are the key components of your info that you'd like to keep? Is it for example fine to lose information stored in nested items?

Really looking forward to some clarity on this. I think in the future there will be a path!

Felipe Sánchez April 7, 2021

Hello,

I understand what you share, but nevertheless the same problem occurs in reverse, and there are tools that allow you to migrate from Confluence to Notion.

If this is possible to one side, it should be possible to the other as well, don't you think?

Like # people like this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2021

Well, that's partially because:

• offering an easy migration path is a great customer acquisition tactic for Notion, with a smaller user base and increasing word of mouth. They are also putting a lot of money on ads against Confluence, so it's an important piece of their current strategy.
  • The Confluence page structure can be easily replicated 1:1 in Notion. Text becomes text, tables become tables, and some macros will translate, while most will be broken. But the information architecture and a bigger percentage of the content should be intact

It doesn't work like that from notion to Confluence, because

• the notion API is in beta
  • Confluence does not support data types, formulas, relations, etc.

Basically, anything you bring over from notion and is built with its database features will be static and broken.

That's why I'm trying to imagine what you'd like to carry over.

Like # people like this
Nir Ofri June 1, 2021

Is this migration is even on the table? It prevents me from transitioning my organisation to Conf. 

Like # people like this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
June 2, 2021

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere by Atlassian, I think it's more likely that a Marketplace vendor grabs it.

However, in order for anyone to do that it would be essential to better understand requirements. That's why I'm asking for some clarity here.

David Ventimiglia December 14, 2022

My requirements would be a bulk importer for Markdown + CSV + images, that actually works.  Notion exports to those things.  It doesn't seem too much to ask of Confluence to be able to import those things.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Nir Ofri December 6, 2020

Any progress with this one? I need this migration too.

3 votes
Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Hi, I got this question in my inbox, because of new answers, and I would like to add another answer/info to this.

One thing that is missing in Confluence compared to Notion is the database feature. That's why my company has build Orderly Databases for Confluence, and app that brings Notion-like databases to Confluence. More info: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Announcing-Orderly-Replace-Confluence-Page-Properties-with/ba-p/1915196

That said, it doesn't have an import feature (yet), but will be soon.

Cheers,
-Stefan

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2022

Hey @Felipe Sánchez 👋🏼 I'd like to follow up on what Stefan wrote. We added an experimental feature to Orderly last week so you can import data by using copy&paste or a CSV file. So if you're still looking for a way to get your data from Notion databases to Confluence, I'd be happy to support you and discuss your migration situation. If you're interested, you can reach me in our help center or ping me on LinkedIn. Have a great day! :)

Best, Max

Like Karl Sabino likes this
2 votes
Sean Ciampaglia February 19, 2024

Check out www.notiontoconfluence.com

We're working on a tool to help migrate an entire wiki from Notion to Confluence:

• All formatting conserved
  • Images & attachments
  • Links to other pages
  • Page comments & more
1 vote
Cassio Volcan April 7, 2021

Me too. Very interested. 

1 vote
Samir Sugathan March 29, 2021

Hi,

Can anyone from Atlassian help here with this question?  It's something that I would also be interested in.

1 vote
Cristian Vega February 2, 2021

Same here

0 votes
Omid Hashemi April 25, 2022

same here

0 votes
matt_newman February 16, 2022

I'm not sure I'd migrate. Notion is way to handy with all sorts of free functionality that can't be easily found in Confluence or that can't be found for free in Confluence. 

Marc Porto May 16, 2022

Very true. However, keep in mind that you get what you paid for...err, lack there of. Always be weary of any tool that does not have a way to move away from it, essentially locking you in without options. Confluence allows you a way to go to other tools and other tools can come to Confluence. Notion has built their tool on a specific set of requirements that prevents purposely allows migration into but not away from their tool. That should have been a flag to begin with. Add in that they offer you "free" options and you have bought into a dead end. 

This is no said with the intent of saying Confluence is the best tool out there but rather that for some Confluence is and for others it is not. However, if those on Confluence find a need to have to move away from it towards a different tool, there are options out there. This is not the case with Notion. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Kishor J August 8, 2021

Hi all,

Follow this guide for migrating any static tables. But beyond that it won't be helpful.

https://www.notion.so/Export-a-database-as-CSV-89654fbb61264d5eb2025a7606a8e3d4#d57cc3a278ce4f6f857738c0a90f8f61

0 votes
QS Assistente Virtual May 31, 2021

Também preciso dessa ajuda ... 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events