Do I need a user license to ask questions in Confluence Questions?

Martin Vobr December 2, 2014

Currently we use an OSQA site as a support forum for our users. Something similar to answers.atlassian.com. We are considering migrating to Confluence Questions. It works like this:

• Questions can be asked by anyone.
  • Answers are almost always provided only by our internal support staff.

How many licenses would we need?

1. Only users answering questions would need a license. No license is needed for asking questions. It would be similar to agents/users licensing in JIRA Service Desk.https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/pricing

or

2. A paid license is needed for both asking and answering questions.

Which one is correct?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2014

Here is the licensing page for CQ.

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/confluence-questions#serverlicenses-5

Since Confluence Questions a plugin, the license user count must match your Confluence license.

Martin Vobr December 2, 2014

JIRA Service Desk is also a JIRA plugin, but customers are not required to have JIRA license. Only JIRA service desk agents do. It seems that with this ConfluenceQuestions licensing creation public QA site (similar to answers.atlassian.com) where anyone can join and ask question would be quite expensive. Cost for self-hosted variant with unlimited users looks like $24.000(Confluence) + $12.000 (Confluence Questions). Cost are much lower and perfectly suitable for internal QA sites. Do you plan to offer a more competitive pricing for Q/A sites where unlimited number of users can ask questions?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2014

I am a user like you. The original license 1.x for Service Desk was a matching license for customers and agents unlike the 2.x license. The backlash about the 1.x license was very strong. Atlassian rarely announces their future plans, so I would doubt if you would get an answer about future CQ license types. I do agree with your logic though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2014

Service Desk is the (recent) exception because it has a special use-case of needing to support "Agents"

Martin Vobr December 3, 2014

Thanks Norman for your answer. And sorry for not realizing that you are not from Atlassian.

Sascha Schwegelbauer March 4, 2015

Hm, still no answer if a license is needed for asking questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events