Disable questions for spaces in Confluence Cloud version

Christina Trocco December 20, 2018

Our company is currently trialing Questions for Confluence (Cloud). It seems like a lot of the questions we are getting should be seen by everybody and not just limited to a space. Having questions asked in different spaces without the ability to move them to the appropriate space is causing some disorganization. Is there a way to disable questions for spaces, and just have the ability to only ask global questions? I've tried looking at the "manage add-ons" section, but it doesn't seem like there are any settings for the Questions for Confluence add-on. Thank you for your assistance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2018

Hello Christina,

Congratulations on trying out Confluence Questions! It is a great tool that makes it easy to generate FAQ and have simple collective help to answer questions.

As far as moving questions to another space, there are a few steps to simply move a question to another space. Here are those steps:

1. Navigate to the question
  2. Select Edit within the question
  3. Within the editor, in the top center/right, select the drop-down and choose a new space.
  4. Select save once you have your space selected.
  5. Your question has been moved to another space.
    1. image.png

As far as removing questions from a space, there is not a simple option to disable questions from a space. For Confluence Cloud there are currently no options to modify the CSS stylesheets to manipulate the dropdown.

For Confluence server; You can, however, apply a CSS stylesheet to remove the side Questions link, but this will not stop users from asking questions in space using the space picker. The CSS for this would be:

#Remove Sidebar link from space
.acs-nav-item.cq-space-sidebar-link{  
display: none;  
}  

(For Confluence Server Only) If you wanted to disable all questions from being asked within a space then you can disable 2 parts of the Question Add-on which will create questions at the top level. SImple display the following modules:

Space picker for ask question form (cq.ask.question.space.picker)
Space picker for edit question form (cq.editquestion.space.picker)

To do this, see how to disable a Confluence Server add-on at Disabling and enabling apps.

All newly created questions will now be stored at the top level. This will not impact already asked questions. This will also disable your ability to move questions to another space as well (If you want to be able to move a question to a space on edit then leave the 2nd line enabled).

I hope this helps to provide guidance on moving questions are options for removing the links or adjusting where questions will be asked.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Note; This post has been updated to clarify a miscommunication between Confluence Cloud and Server products. Only Confluence Server (At the time of this post) is able to apply CSS Stylesheets and disable add-ons/apps.

Christina Trocco December 28, 2018

Thanks for the information, Stephen.

I'm currently a site admin, but I cannot edit questions for other users. Is there a reason for that? This would be a great option for us if I was able to do this.

Also, where would I go about customizing the CSS and adding modules? My company uses Confluence Cloud, and I don't see an option to use CSS.

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 31, 2018

Hello again Christina,

To move a question, you need to ensure you have space admin permissions for the space the question was asked in. If you do have this permission, and you’re still unable to move the question then can you test the following:

1. Create a test question in the same space.
  2. Edit the question
  3. See if you have an option to move it, take a share a screenshot of the question please.

As far as CSS goes, you may only create CSS stylesheets within Confluence server. I should have clarified this in my previous answer above. Confluence Cloud does not offer custom CSS stylesheets.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Christina Trocco January 7, 2019

ConfluenceQuestionsNoSpaceOption.png

I have site admin privileges and space admin for all spaces as I created all of them. As you can see from the above screenshot of a Confluence question, there is no space moving option in the top-right corner. Also, I do not see the edit link for questions from other users. I only see the edit link when the question was asked by me.

Are the options you referred to only available in the Confluence Server instance? It would be great if these were also available in Confluence Cloud. Thank you.

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
January 8, 2019

Hello again Christina,

So I just re-tested and verified you’re no longer able to move questions within Confluence Cloud. The functionality of moving questions is still available within Confluence server though (although it won’t mean much for your issue).

With this said, there is a feature request to bring this functionality to Confluence Cloud. You may find that request at CONFCLOUD-57117. We would suggest you vote and watch this request to receive future updates of its status.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events