Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence incorrectly reporting embedded database

Matthew Mulligan June 8, 2018

Hi there. I'm running Confluence Server 6.8.0. When I installed it (on top of a Ubuntu 16.04 distro), I stood up two servers - one for Confluence and another as a database server (MySQL) and off I went. I got it working and created content. When the evaluation was up I bought a starter license.

Everything has been great, but Confluence keeps telling me that I am running an embedded database. I am not. There is nothing like $confluence-home/database to speak of. I've confirmed a database for Confluence exists on my database server. In short: I'm really confused and looking for a reason why Confluence might incorrectly report I have an embedded database. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

For reference, here's the message the instance health check gives me:

"Confluence is using the H2 embedded database. You should migrate to a supported database to ensure your data is safe."

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2018

Hi Matthew,

Please double check the system information page on your instance under "database information". The page is at Confluence Admin>System Information or <base_URL>/admin/systeminfo.action:

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 4.17.27 PM.pngA decisive source of truth is the file  <confluence_home>/confluence.cfg.xml. (The <confluence_home> directory is the path defined in the following file: <confluence_install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties)

All the database settings are in there so you can check whether the database URL is pointing at the MySQL database as you intend. The line to look for is:

<property name="hibernate.connection.url">YOUR_DB_URL</property>

I look forward to hearing what you find.

Thanks,

Ann

Matthew Mulligan June 13, 2018

Hi Ann,

Thank you very much for your help. I do not have a property of "hibernate.connection.url" defined in confluence.cfg.xml. There is no property with that name listed. However, I see a reference to H2, specifically in the property, "hibernate.connection.driver_class." After looking over the System Information page, I see references and a path to an H2 database now:

Database Connection URL:  jdbc:h2:tcp://localhost:9092//var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/database/h2db

So, for whatever reason, it appears that I am using the embedded database. Am I mistaken? I must have glossed over it. I'm sorry about that. I will have to follow the how-to articles to migrate the database, correct?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events