Blog posts from multiple Spaces displaying on a central Space (Intranet Scenario)

Dom H February 5, 2018

Hi,

I'm looking to create a centralised "Intranet" type scenario in our business with a private space for each department showing help files and training as well as a central space where every user in the company can view, however we would like all managers to be able to add a "blog" for their teams inside their own space and for this to be displayed in the central space.

Any tips on how I would set this up? My thought process was to add each manager as a space admin/editor so that they can update their files/help articles within their space, and each member of their staff view permissions to their departmental space. 

This would be the easy part - how would I then show help articles within the central space without giving the managers edit permissions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2018

Hi Dom,

a central blogpost would be no problem, if the department's spaces were not private.

You can't present a blogpost (or a page) from a private space to an audience which is not allowed to view also the same blog in the department's space.

There's an app called "multi-excerpt" - This app allows specifig users and groups to view content even when it originates on a restricted page or in a restricted space.

But, to be honest, I would not use this feature. We have this app here, but have disabled the enhanced permissions. You open the doors to completely bypass Confluence's security.

I think, you have to

• give your users viewing permissions in the department's spaces or
  • give permissions to the department's manager to edit your central space (maybe edit blog is sufficient?) 
Dom H February 5, 2018

Thanks for the quick response!

If we were to give all users access to view the central space and managers access to edit both spaces (but trained them to only edit their own), would this work?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2018

Of course, there's nothing special then with the central space. But content from the department's spaces would not be visible in the central space.

Maybe the managers could set page restrictions (for editing) on their central pages, so no other department is able to edit other department's pages in the central space. 

Dom H February 5, 2018

Okay, what if we were to give everybody access to all spaces, for viewing. 

Then within each space there is a "Department only" type page with all of their private content? This way we can restrict viewing to users within that team's Group, then we should be able to show any other content (including blog posts) on the central space too?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2018

Yes, exactly. If all users are able to view the department's spaces, you can create a central blogpost page with the blogpost-macro. This macro then can be parametrized to show all blog posts from the department's spaces on one page in the central space (same with pages). 

And yes, you are also right with the "department only" page. If you restrict such a page to members of the department only, other users from other departments are not able to see this and every other page located under this page.

But then, everyone in the departments has to be aware of these "public" and "department-only" pages, so that no internal information will be released to public by accident.

Dom H February 5, 2018

Great, thanks.

The "department only" pages won't have restricted personal information and such, more help guides, etc.

That said you might not want a sales agent to know how much possible discount is able to be given by a customer service/retention agent and the likes.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2018

You're welcome, @Dom H

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events