How can I import optional items for checklist fields when creating issues from CSV files?

Einar Dehli February 12, 2016

We have found the Checklist for JIRA plugin very useful. We are primarily using it for ad hoc lists so far, letting users enter different checklist items per issue.

I am currently preparing a parameterized Excel workbook with a long list of tasks to be done during our quarterly patching weeks. The latest version of the task sheet will be saved as a CSV-file and imported to JIRA ahead of each patching week.

Each issue has its own checklist. I have successfully created a checklist field with only optional items. The checklist field appear in the import mapping, however, the checklist export format is not accepted for CSV import. Neither have I found any other way to enter values for this field. Is there a way to import checklist items in the current plugin version? If not, is this a limitation in your plugin, or in JIRA?

• The value [ {null=* Send patch notifications} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Checklist Steps ]. The value [ {null=* Send patch notifications} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format

2 answers

1 vote
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 16, 2016

Hi,

Very sorry for the delay in the answer, Answers does not always send me notification when a question is asked for the plugin.

I have investigated this and while it is possible to import customfield values, the current JIRA implementation of the import for option-based customfield is useless as it tries to create global options for every item.

If you look at this thread, it seems that a user was able to update the field after the creation using JIRA CLI. Not as clean and useful but at least a work around.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/35770724

Yves

0 votes
Einar Dehli February 23, 2016

I have looked into all recommendations and discussion threads related to the checklist plugin, without finding a workaround I can use. I have considered using a bulk cloning plugin instead of CSV, but CSV import is preferable for my needs. 

There already is a workflow post function that can append or replace check list steps, as documented in https://okapya.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHK/Modifying+a+Checklist+in+a+workflow. This almost solves my needs. Except that the post function apparently only can add predefined hardcoded steps...

If the post function could be extended to allow checklist steps to be created from a text representation in another field, I could import the desired checklists into a hidden custom field, and then do a bulk transition after import to initialize the checklists. 

The post function should accept the Import/export format defined in https://okapya.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16875531, making it simple for anyone to just export an existing checklist, and paste it into the corresponding Excel cell (representing the hidden text field).

Would this be possible for you to consider for an upcoming release?

Regards,

Einar

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 23, 2016

Hi Einar,

It is something that can be done but it is very much a workaround for something not working with JIRA. I will first try to see if I can work with Atlassian to figure out how I can import my customfield via their import mechanism. If it doesn't go anywhere, then I will put your suggestion in the backlog.

Yves

Einar Dehli March 16, 2016

Hi Yves,

Any progress on how to import checklists from CSV files? I need to find a practical setup for my client shortly for the repeating patching needs. We strongly prefer using checklist over subtasks...

Einar

Andreas Testor May 24, 2019

Hi Yves,

Any progress on how to import checklists from CSV files?

Cheers

Andreas

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
May 24, 2019

Hi Andreas,

No, Atlassian, to my knowledge, never changed their import mechanism to allows add-ons to adapt the data to the process.

Sorry,

just to be clear: there is no way I can export checklists from the Okapya addon and import it back into the same addon somehow?

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
May 24, 2019

You can use our REST API to import/export data or you can do it manually via the export/import function. It's just that the CSV import from Jira doesn't work as expected so it's preferable to avoid it.

Regards,

As I did check out the export/import function I noticed that there is a difference in how it works on Cloud and on Server. We try to migrate from Server to Cloud. I can export the old list. However, when I paste it into the Cloud checklist it will be converted to a checklist with one item containing the full text.

Therefore, I suspect that importing they way it's doable on Server is not supported on Cloud. Can you confirm this?

If so, do you have a suggestion what can be done to export lists from Server to Cloud?

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
May 24, 2019

Effectively, the server and cloud versions are two totally different beasts. Atlassian did not allow third party custom fields on the cloud instances so Checklist has a completely different architecture for the cloud and there are currently no migration path between server and cloud.

Like Andreas Testor likes this

Thanks for clarifying this. We'll work accordingly around this now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events