How can i define milestones with JIRA Portfolio

Hello Experts, 

we are currently evaluating Portfolio, 

We would like to manage product implementation projects, and for that we need to define milestones

Can you please advise how can I define them in Portfolio?

Thanks

Naama

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Your milestones are effectively your release dates, you could create epics for certain stages of your project and assign these to releases which match your milestone dates.

That isn't a very good approach. There can be a lot of issues tied to a milestone in different ways including:

• Cannot start until the date
  • Milestone cannot be met unless issues are accepted

Those "stakes in the ground" can be moved independently of other works and may or may not impact a release. They may be a date that a tool arrives from a 3rd party or almost any other thing, and there can be many of these special dates in a release cycle. 

I can see that using releases can do some of the same thing, but conceptually it is better to keep a "release" with a specific meaning and a milestone with its own specific meaning and not muddy them together. 

Like 3 people like this

Hi, has this matter been solved? Any other suggestion, how to add milestones in Portfolio without using releases? Thanks in advance :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

5,391 views 46 26
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you