It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Editing the Initiative -> Child Epic issue link in JIRA

Evan Gehring Oct 04, 2017

We have configured the Initiative issue type in JIRA so that we can link Epics together across different projects. In Portfolio, we are able to add child Epics to Initiatives, and in JIRA, I can go to an Initiative issue and see a list of all the "Child issues" for that Initiative.

However, I can't find a way to add child Epics to an Initiative in JIRA (without going into Portfolio). In fact, I can't find the configuration for this issue link type at all in our admin. Is there a way to expose this issue link so that users can edit the Initiative/Child Epic link in JIRA?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven Behnke Community Leader Oct 04, 2017

They don't use linktypes, to my dismay. There is a field "parent link" that handles all hierarchy concerns above Epic Link.

Evan Gehring Oct 04, 2017

Ah, I see that now. Thank you!

0 votes
Jason Golden Community Leader Oct 04, 2017 • edited

A little more detail:

You can add "Parent Link" to any screen. But this only allows you to connect children to parents, on the child issue screen.

You're correct - when you're in the parent issue, there's no way to add new children in the "child issues" panel on the issue itself. You can only do this from your Portfolio plan.

-Jason Golden
Denver AUG Leader

Rob Berube Mar 16, 2018

pretty shitty design IMO.

Like Benjamin Kapelle likes this
Steven Behnke Community Leader Mar 20, 2018

Good 1 mate

0 votes
Liviu Damian Sep 12, 2018

No, this is not working. I put parent link field in all screens and does not appear in any of the screens.

Steven Behnke Community Leader Sep 12, 2018

Ask your own new question instead of "answering" someone else's question with a new question years later.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Portfolio for Jira

Portfolio for Jira 3.0 is here!

The wait is over... Portfolio for Jira Server and Data Center 3.0 is now officially here! Platform releases offer Atlassian an opportunity to shift our strategy, make bold predictions about t...

2,608 views 18 26
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you