Portfolio for Jira 3.0 has arrived!

portfolio-for-jira-3.png

The wait is over... Portfolio for Jira Server and Data Center 3.0 is now officially here!

Platform releases offer Atlassian an opportunity to shift our strategy, make bold predictions about the future, and act on insights gathered from you, our customers. In 3.0, we've done just that. Based on your input, key elements of the platform have undergone radical changes and are now simpler and more intuitive to use, flexible to various planning styles and processes, and transparent for all users. Our aim: to place more control into your hands to create roadmaps exactly as you've envisioned, evolve your plans as changes occur, and share your strategy with key stakeholders. 

What's new in Portfolio 3.0?

In case you hadn't had a chance to dig into the new functionality we've enabled in our Early Access Program, here's a rundown of the standout features Portfolio 3.0 has to offer:

• A line-by-line visual interface, making it easier to see and manipulate the data that powers your roadmap.
  • Enhanced drag and drop scheduling functionality, giving you the flexibility to shape your roadmap to your liking.
  • New filtering options and view settings, allowing you to see your plan through different lenses and tailor the experience for different audiences.
  • Improved dependency management capabilities, helping you to surface conflicts early before they derail your plans.

But that just scratches the surface of the value we're unlocking. That's why we hope you'll dig in, give it a try, and let us know what you think by sharing your comments on this post. 

What's next?

Join us for an upcoming webinar where we'll provide more insight on the evolution of work, demonstrate how Portfolio has responded to this change, showcase Portfolio for Jira 3.0 in an end-to-end demo, and answer any questions in a live Q&A session. Spots are limited, so sign up today!

Register

Helpful resources

23 comments

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2019

That's nice! 

Looks like time to update :)

Like # people like this
Carl Rees April 10, 2019

Josh,

please re-read this from the top and tell me at what point you actually inform the reader "what" Portfolio is?

not the features, what is this ?

is it just me?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2019
Like # people like this
Help Desk Support April 10, 2019

This looks like a good promising upgrading cannot wait to explore!

Like Josh Berman likes this
felipe.arana April 11, 2019

Nice

Michael Möllney April 11, 2019

1. )

Live Q&A session ... nice :-)

on 1st May ... not so nice: this is a public holiday in many European countries!

How about moving it?

2.)

I tried scheduling with the new experience.... Where did the team members go? I can only select a team, how should scheduling work?

How to check for overloading of team members. You can assign anyone to an issue, even users that are not part of the team chosen for the issue...

I would like to see some use cases from start to end for planing with auto scheduling. Could not find it in the docs.

3.)

Docs:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/managing-teams-and-releases-968677369.html

"...

For example, you may notice that your team capacities are becoming more and more overbooked over time.

..."

How can you see this in the "improved planning interface"?

4.)

Some manual scrolling / scaling of the time frame would be nice...

5.)

Well, the limitations section in 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/future-releases-and-limitations-953663163.html

give the impression that 3.0 is a kind of too early release...

6.)

Interactive GUI based relation ship editing: issue A blocks issue B by drawing line from  end of A to start of B.. is this possible?

Filtering to define dependent issue works nice.

7.) 

Automatic Scheduling is needed for capacity realistic planning. 

In limitation section referred to in point 5.) you can read for Scheduling Factors:

"...

In the improved interface, this section isn't available anymore. If an issue is not scheduled as expected, you can manually reschedule the issue straight away.

..."

OK, what if _many_ are not scheduled as expected .... reschedule manually "straight away"...? Without a capacity report option?

Verdict:

+ nice view

- many features of live plan still missing (e.g. scheduling, capacity report, ..) I hope they will be added and not removed.

summed up: to early to give it a major 3.0 more a 2.90

please keep "live planning" for a long time to come... 

Like # people like this
Carl Rees April 11, 2019

Michael

I'm wholly in agreement, but maybe even more pessimistic, I think maybe a downgrade to 2.9

until the description of what exactly port folio is

i'm thinking a port (like rotterdam, bremen) or a port like Porto ! :-)

and a folio like a collection of something, if we can start with that description it will be 100% better and clearer than the current official Jira description ,which is um, "some corporate special words, blue sky thinking like a great thing but better, yeah :-)"

Moritz Tenorth April 15, 2019

Are there any updates on the Cloud version?

The comments on this article (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Portfolio-for-Jira-articles/Introducing-a-new-planning-experience-in-Portfolio-for-Jira/ba-p/944996) refer to "lots of exciting things planned", but again there were only announcements for the server version.

We are currently in the process of deciding upon a roadmapping tool, and I am wondering whether it still makes sense to wait for a cloud release, or whether we should rather switch to another tool.

Like # people like this
Josh Berman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2019

@Michael Möllney - Thanks for sharing your excitement for our latest platform release! I see you’ve got lots of questions, so I’ll do my best to tackle them all for you.

1) Apologies for the oversight on the timing of our webinar for our European customers. Unfortunately, those dates are locked in. We offer this webinar in multiple time zones to try and accommodate our global audience and there are many factors that weigh into the air dates. Just know that we still encourage you to register in order to gain access to the on-demand recording of this webinar in the event you cannot attend. Feel free to launch any questions on this page about the webinar or its content if need be.

2a) In the past, Portfolio for Jira used the concept of "team members” which were independent from “assignees” in Jira. Formerly, you had to assign an issue to a “team member” in Portfolio for Jira and, when you saved this change to Jira, the issue was then assigned to the corresponding “assignee” in Jira.

In Portfolio 3.0, we’ve simplified things by letting you set the “assignee” directly in your plan. This effectively removes a few extra steps. One thing to note though — you can now assign an issue to only one assignee in the 3.0 planning experience. My assumption is that this could be at the root of your confusion. More details can be found here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/changes-in-the-improved-interface-961780550.html

2b) Capacity is currently visible on a per-team basis. This is an area we are targeting for improvement in the future to include individual capacity.

Team capacity is made visible by using the "view settings" button to group your work by "team" and clicking the checkbox that appears to activate the capacity management visualization in the roadmap view. Here are some resources to guide you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/managing-teams-952623602.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/grouping-by-teams-967895212.html#Groupingbyteams-capacity

2c) At the moment, we do not have an example in our documentation which covers the end-to-end use of the auto-schedule functionality. I’ll suggest this to the team, but there are no guarantees this will make it into our documentation. Instead, I encourage you to check out our upcoming webinar (live or on-demand) for more insight into this functionality.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/auto-scheduling-issues-967895245.html

3) I shared this link above, but it relates to this question. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/grouping-by-teams-967895212.html#Groupingbyteams-capacity

4) I think this would be a great piece of feedback to share directly with our dev team. Mind sharing more details via the in-product “Give feedback” button? This is still the best place to launch your feedback/suggestions aside from voting on or creating new JAC tickets.

5) Thanks for noting this, it was not our intent to give that impression. Up until we launched Portfolio 3.0, we had run a 9-month early access program and had been working towards this release for much longer still. We feel this release has a lot to offer. This page in our documentation is meant to provide clarity on what functionality did not carry over from 2.x and gives an indication of our focus for the future. Keep in mind, we will continue to improve upon the new planning experience we launched in 3.0, adding new features and functionality over time.

6) Really glad you like the dependency filter capability, there’s more packed into this functionality when you dig deeper. The basic reason for not drawing a line between dependent issues is that it doesn’t scale well and doesn’t necessarily address dependencies contained within the hierarchy of an issue. We’re continuing to look at improving the way that dependencies are visualized in future releases. If you have further input, I suggest using the in-product “Give feedback” button to share this directly with our team. Also, we will cover the current functionality in much greater detail during our webinar... stay tuned.

7) As noted previously, when you group by “team” you can activate capacity to display on the timeline. Hopefully, with this insight your other questions are resolved.

Regarding your verdict: In all, we really appreciate this feedback. Perhaps with the added clarity on the items above, you’ll feel better equipped to give 3.0 a try. If not, the 2.x experience is still there for those who are interested in using it. We have no plans of removing 2.x planning for the foreseeable future.

I hope all this added context is helpful for everyone! Keep the questions coming!

Michael Möllney April 18, 2019

@Josh Berman 

Thank you for your time in giving some feedback on my question and concerns.

My main intention in using Portfolio is the automatic planning. The central point in the automatic methods that you offer seems to be, how you interpret what a team is.

A)

As I do not see this blog and the comments as the right place to go into deeper details, I would like to invite you to a discussion I started about planning projects and teams:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Portfolio-for-Jira-discussions/Examples-for-Teams-in-Portfolio-3-0-and-live-planning/td-p/1055724

B)

Thanks for the hint how to see the team capacity.

C)

I already used the feedback options in the "new experience", but I never got a feedback on any of my inputs.... So this seems not to be the right way to see, if the input is understood, taken into consideration, ... or just dumped.

So my question is: where to add a "JAC ticket"? Maybe it makes it more visible how it is handled by the portfolio team.

Carl Rees April 18, 2019

Ok, got it, its just me, Portfolio == Microsoft Notepad.... that's it.

wow a lot  of fuss over nothing.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2019

no, I still don't know what this is, is this a fake news bot thing? or do real people read this and completely ignore, how rude!

What the...?

Like Nicki Repici likes this
Josh Berman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2019

@Michael Möllney

A) I'll surface your new page with others and see if we can get some eyes on it. 
C) When you submit in-product feedback, the team will reach out only on an as-needed basis. Here is where you can access more info on our JAC ticket process: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa.  For the specific request you had for "Some manual scrolling / scaling of the time frame", I've connected with our Dev Team and this is something the team is looking into.  

Josh Berman
Atlassian Team
April 22, 2019

@Moritz Tenorth - for an update on Portfolio for Jira Cloud, please see the recent comment from Jake Brereton, Head of Marketing for Jira Software Cloud, on the article you previously cited. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Portfolio-for-Jira-articles/Introducing-a-new-planning-experience-in-Portfolio-for-Jira/ba-p/944996/page/3#M98

Nicki Repici May 8, 2019

@Josh Berman 

Is it possible to convert an existing Portfolio 2.x plan to the new 3.x format? I thought you'd be able to do this from an existing plan's settings, like in the lead-up to 3, but that doesn't appear to be possible--or I'm malfunctioning (which is plausible). Thank you for any help.

Josh Berman
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2019

@Nicki Repici - Yes, you sure can. The process is similar to what was required in lead up to 3.0. Here's a page from our documentation to guide you: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/4-enable-the-improved-interface-in-a-plan-968677268.html

Nicki Repici May 9, 2019

@Josh Berman I'm not seeing that option in any of my pre-3.0 plans. I'm thinking it's because I had the option to use the new planning experience off in 2.x before I upgraded to 3.x. I guess there's no way to correct this now--we didn't have many plans anyway, so no big deal. Thanks!

Josh Berman
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2019

Still got questions regarding our latest Portfolio for Jira Server and Data Center 3.0 platform release? Check out this article: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Portfolio-for-Jira-articles/Top-20-questions-and-answers-about-Portfolio-3-0/ba-p/1085208

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2019

Hi, Community!

I have read an article about monitoring progress of work in Portfolio 3.2. 

Now I have instaled version 3.1.0, and I have just 1 column - 'Status breakdown', where I see issue progress of work using issue count.

1. Is it possible to see progress of work using estimates in Portfolio 3.1.?

2. Is it possible to use(watch/edit) live plans (from 2.0 to 2.27) in Portfolio 3.2.? or it is really end of life for classic plans?

Thank you!

Like Ben Admin likes this
Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
February 27, 2020

Hi everyone, we are exploring bringing some of the key Portfolio 3 features into Cloud. We’ve just started recruitment for a private beta to get feedback on some of these new features. If you’re an existing Portfolio Cloud customer and you’re interested in exploring this, we’d love for you to apply for the beta by sending an email to portfolio-cloud-beta@atlassian.com.

Please include your site name (e.g. xxxx.atlassian.net), your role, and whether you have either Portfolio/Jira admin permissions or the approval of someone in your site with those permissions.

Like Parker Higgins likes this
Natalia Golikova May 3, 2020

Hi everyone,

We purchased Jira Portfolio for Jira Software Cloud version and I was disspointed that this version has limited features and none features from 3.0 version.

Also, configuring our first Plan in Portfolio I got a problem that not all the tasks and sub-tasks were loaded into the plan. I was not able to find the exact logic "why". If we don't have all the issues and I don't know the resason why some tasks and sub-tasks are not there I cannot trust this Plan in Jira Portfolio. 

Another problem is that some tasks got assignment from Jira and some don't. I created all team members for projects in Portfolio, but still some of them were not sinchronized with Jira. Again, I cannot trust the Plan and submit the changes back to Jira because it may break the existing data in Jira tickets.

I would appreciate any help. Please share your experience if someone faced the same issues.

Thanks,

Natalia

Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2020

Hi @Natalia Golikova

I'm sorry you haven't had a great experience with Portfolio for Jira Cloud.

I do have some good news though! As I mentioned a little further up, we're bringing the new interface to Cloud as part of our Advanced Roadmaps capabilities in Jira Software Cloud Premium. If you'd like to participate in our beta, please check out this post and email us in the next day or so: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Portfolio-for-Jira-articles/New-Portfolio-Cloud-Experience-Beta/ba-p/1327511

Please include the details of how you've set up your plan's issue sources and we can try to help you with why some of your issues are not appearing in your plan.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

@Josh Berman -

Looking forward to 3.0 in our DC env as we are upgrading our Jira DC to 9.x in the next few days.  One thing which Atlassian needs to include ASAP is the the ability to display multiple fix versions/releases of items in the plan.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-4393

I know this was recently fixed in the CLOUD env, but we need it for the DC because we uses versions/releases to support our planning.

Best, Joseph

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events