Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I speed up notifications from opsgenie?

Krista Schlumpberger February 15, 2023

When a critical incident is raised through our support portal, it takes exactly 10 min, no less, to get the notifications on my phone. Can this be optimized or changed to be faster?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2023

Hi @Krista Schlumpberger ,

This should be possible. One thing I like to point out with alert notifications and the workflow is:

• If an alert is sent to a team (which is best practice), the team's On-call tab manages which users are notified - through routing rules and escalations.
  • When an alert is sent a user, the user manages how they are notified.

So if you are apart of the team's workflow / escalation process, you could be added into the notification flow immediately with a 0 minute escalation rule:

nots1.jpg

You could also then edit your New Alert notification rule to notify you immediately through whichever contact method(s) you prefer. This is the rule that notifies a user when a new alert is sent them:

nots2.jpg

0 votes
Krista Schlumpberger February 15, 2023

Thanks Nick, very helpful! 

I do already have it set to notify me immediately. 

And under the team, the notification rules are set to notify "on-call" immediately yet I still didn't receive the message until 10 min after ticket was created. 

However, if the ticket is not acknowledged then we do have another rule that is set to alert the rest of the team after 10 min. Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 3.06.01 PM.png

So, the on-call immediate alerting is not working as expected but the second notification rule is.

As a workaround I have updated the 2nd notification rule/escalation path to be after only 1 minute instead of 10. 

Could the issue be how we set up the routing rule to alert on_call_escalation instead of on_call_team_schedule?

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 3.13.14 PM.png

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2023

Hi @Krista Schlumpberger ,

Are you on-call in that team's schedule? Your workflow looks configured correctly - and I would suggest routing to the escalation vs. the schedule.

Routing directly to a schedule essentially skips over the escalation entirely and only notifies the on-call user(s) - while routing to an escalation can notify the on-call user(s), and others if no action is taken on that alert.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events