Atlassian Team 2021 Q+A with Greg Warner

Team2021_Email1_Hero-update (1) (1).png

Hello Community!

Greg just gave a talk, What I wish I'd known: Moving Splunk’s 10,000 users to cloud, at Team 2021. 

This session starts from the most basic of questions: is moving to cloud even an option if my team has always done things this way? According to the team at Splunk: yes. Preparing for a cloud migration is more than a data transfer – it’s a shift in thinking that unlocks more efficient ways of working. While venturing out of your team’s comfort zone can seem overwhelming, the opportunity cost of “this is how we’ve always done it” could be holding your team back.

Post all your questions in the comments before next Tuesday, May 4th to get an answer directly from Greg! 

3 comments

Comment

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Hi Greg - great talk!

I especially appreciated your acknowledgement that part of the journey to cloud is accepting that you may no longer be the expert in everything.

I learned that lesson myself, working almost exclusively in Cloud environments for the past 14-months, having barely touched it in the 7+ years prior of primarily Server administration. (There was a brief exploration of On Demand back in 2016.)

That being said, in these past 14-months, I got to know this Community (and Atlassian Support) very very well. Incredibly important resources.

So my question:

When you were talking about organizations and tenant maps, you mentioned one advantage was that with cloud sites in different organizations, you had to deal with two different sets of API keys for integrations.

Was this for integrations between sites, or with external tools?

I'm curious how and whether having sites within the same org aids with federation, and actually, whether any of the old tools for federated DC/Servers instances like Jira to Jira Issue Copy, etc. have alternatives in Cloud.

Thanks!

Greg Warner April 30, 2021

Darryl, thanks for taking the time to watch my talk!

The different set of API keys I mention is when we performed maintenance across different sites in different organizations. We started including methods to multiple different keys for different sites in our code and realized that's getting really ridiculous. Something isn't right in our approach. 

Early on we didn't appreciate the importance of sites in different organizations. I'll even admit, it took our TAM to schedule a call with an Atlassian Access product manager to explain all the different organizations we could see in admin.atlassian.com and what the different shading meant. It was such an Aha! moment and a professionally embarrassing one.

We constantly build for scale and question our biases by asking "Is this a server practice we're implementing in cloud?" When my team presents a solution, I now ask "What is the more ambitious version of that?" . We get so much further when that question is answered.

As for the tenant map, our intent is to provide role based, focused sites with integrations and apps for cohorts of teams. This way we can maximize the productivity without licensing apps for the entire organization. We found an app costing us $40,000/year that 13 people used while rejecting apps for other users because of budget parameters. Now we can do both. Where is that taco meme :)

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

Hi Greg,

Maintenance? But I thought Cloud managed everything! ;-}

(If you're talking about things like regular scheme cleanup, then I absolutely know what you're talking about, although I've been doing that with CLI and user API tokens.)

Yes one of my previous clients was extremely excited about the "unlimited sites" feature of Enterprise, and I can see how being able to selectively license apps on a per site basis could absolutely be a huge money-saver.

Do you know if Atlassian or any third-parties are addressing the issue of cross-site searching or reporting? I wonder if that might become an issue if there is too much fragmentation of sites.

I guess one solution used to be ALM Work's Client for Jira, although maybe now something like the Jira Cloud for Mac would fit the bill. (No Windows tho?) 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events