Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

using git

I have just started using git.
I have created a repository.
Then, as I was instructed, I made a “git clone” command which consisted of “git clone” followed by a path.
I expected this to get the contents of the path and put it into my repository – meaning the directory I made. This did not happen. What do I do?
How do I get a local copy of a remote work space for me to work on?

1 answer

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon Community Leader Dec 26, 2021

Hello @William Thompson,

Welcome to the Community!

Just to make sure I understand what you have done so far, where did you create your repository?  Github? Bitbucket? somewhere else?

The 'git clone' command will make a copy of the repository (remote) on your local machine.

If you already have a directory locally with files in it, that won't work.  You will need to either run 'git init' to create the repository locally, or execute the 'git clone' command on an empty directory and then copy the files in after you have created the repository.

I'd recommend checking out the getting started guide here: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Getting-a-Git-Repository

It might also be worthwhile going back to the beginning of that getting started guide in case you have missed a couple of steps that will be required before you can commit and push changes.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Off-topic

Don't F&*% the planet.

Over the weekend, Atlassian ran a New York Times ad calling on business leaders to join us in committing to a net zero future through the Science-Based Targets Initiative. As part of our gl...

310 views 0 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you