Multiple instances of Atlassian products on same server

Omar Morales February 14, 2022

I have a very broad question. As such I understand if I receive a broad answer.

Is it possible to install two instances of an Atlassian product on the same server? I currently have Jira, Bitbucket, Confluence, and Bamboo installed across 4 different servers. I also have a 5th server with a reverse proxy setup for the tools. My goal is to have 1 more instance of each Atlassian product and not have to add any new servers to my setup.

is this possible?

Thanks for your time

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Support Team [Clearvision]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2022

Hi Omar,

Yes you can have for example 2 Jira's running on a single server since you are using a reverse proxy.

You would need to make sure they are running on different ports (set in server.xml) and Base URLs, then on the reverse Proxy add in the config for the new Jira similar to the original just on the new port.

There are many other things that can be talked about such as resources on the server, if the apps will be sharing a Disk or Database Engine. If they are new or cloned off the current apps you may need to be careful with email setup etc.

Hope that helps.

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2022

Hi @Omar Morales

the more installations you run on a single server the more it will be crucial to have a well thought through backup/restore or standy system plan available.

Imagine the server holding all product goes down - users will complain very quickly.

Also, it might be needed to put more resources for CPU, RAM and disk space on it than on the former setup where data was separated.

From a maintenance point of view it could be a plus - you need to maintain less machines.

In any case, keeping all installed software products will make a lot of sense - if the server gets compromised through one open backdoor you can almost be certain the whole machine (holding all other products) must be reployed/cleaned. This would speak a bit more for separation, across several (virtualized?) machines.

Regards,
Daniel

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events