Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday fun: what's the spookiest thing that's ever happened to you?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 26, 2017

Do you believe in ghosts or other spooky phenomenon? Have you ever had an experience you can't explain? Please tell us your spooky story!

tumblr_ovnf68FdQo1wzemqmo1_500.gif

As a bonus, if you're in a part of the world celebrating Halloween this week, let us know what you're dressing up as. Anything spooky or Halloweeny is welcome in this week's thread!

4 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2017

This was me for Halloween! I dressed up as Cheshire cat, from Alice in Wonderland. It took me more than 1 hour to finish my makeup!

22904974_1609910252423247_4472067566946292787_o.jpg

Regarding horror movies, I like them but I have to stay away from them (they're good material for nightmares!) If I have to name one it would be The Grudge, that was one of the first movies I watched with my friends and we were all scared for weeks! 

0 votes
Leslie Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2017

Don't believe in ghosts, but in my formative middle school years, I heard and believed the Bloody Mary legend which said that if you knocked on a mirror three times and repeated "Bloody Mary" each time, she would appear. After I heard this, I was so scared, I refused to sleep alone. To show me how nonsensical this was, my dad came to my room, knocked on the mirror three times as he chanted, "Bloody Mary." Then he said, "See, nothing happened! Now, go to sleep." I legitimately thought I was going to die that night. Still seared in my memory!!

Celina Zamora October 27, 2017

Hahah! Your dad sounds like mine, except he took me to see the movie Poltergeist when I was 6 years old and told me "none of this is real". Seriously? Everything is real at 6 years old. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2017

I'm an engineer.  Which, in short, means knowing that ghosts (and a lot of other bullshit) don't exist.

The dichotomy for me is that I absolutely love ghost films.

I'm typing this while watching "The Babadook" (a bit slow to start but horribly creepy once you get into it) and for All Hallow's Eve weekend, I've lined up a pile of films.  The woman in black, The Devil's backbone, and Wise's The Haunting.  If I can survive that lot, I may try to watch the only one that really scares me properly.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 26, 2017

lol, I'm coming back to haunt you for that one. 

I hate horror films with jump scares and the like. (Although creepiness is fine; Psycho is one of my favorite films.)  Which one is the one that really scares you properly? Hmm?

I don't have any spooky experiences to recount, although I have friends that do -- even engineers! But one time our family won the San Francisco Chronicle costume contest. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 5.51.05 PM.png

My little noodle is going as Moana this year.

Leslie Lee
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2017

best costume @Monique vdB!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2017

Loving the mini-macaroni!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2017

Yes, I like horror films in general, but jump-scares don't work for me.  It's the creepy sense of unease, and psychological stuff that works for me.  Hence "The Haunting", where you never really see the ghost.

The only horror film that has ever given me a problem is Dougal and the Blue Cat - Buxton is the stuff of nightmares, and Fenella Fielding's "Blue is beautiful, blue is best. I'm blue, I'm beautiful, I'm best!" is ten times worse.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 27, 2017

Even just reading that sentence creeps me out @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, if you ever get the chance to see the theatre play "Horror" by Jakop Ahlbom, buy tickets! They're touring around Europe and it is a Horror movie on a stage. It was so great, nightmarish and fascinating - one of the best shows I've ever seen on stage (if you like Horror movies. If not, I wouldn't recommend it).

0 votes
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2017

1) Gif game strong, as always.

2) For as much as I appreciate things of the spooky persuasion (reading the Goosebumps series growing up, watching "Are You Afraid of the Dark," embracing scary movies, etc.), I don't think I've ever had any actual encounters that couldn't be explained. (Boring I know.)

BUT there was one specific Halloween in my youth that scarred me for life — I decorated a pumpkin in the likeness of Rajah from "Aladdin" (complete with a plastic tiger nose), placed it on my front porch, and by the time I returned from trick-or-treating, someone had smashed him to bits in our front yard. I may or may not have sobbed. RIP, Rajah.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 26, 2017

Noooo Rajah! That is the saddest thing ever. Where did you grow up that hooligans smashed children's pumpkins?!?!?!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events