cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday fun: Birthday stories

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

It's Friday, 17th of November now, at least in Sidney - time for a new Friday fun post.

This Friday is a very special Friday for me - it's my birthday.

cheers.png

So I want to clink glasses with any one of you, celebrate a big virtual birthday party and ask this friday's question: do you have any special birthday tradition, something you're looking forward to every year on your birthday?

Or tell us a birthday story, your perfect, best or worst birthday, a very special surprise, or whatever you want to tell us about birthdays.

My birthday tradition is, that I don't know, what will happen on my birthday. My husband and me, we both try to take the day off on our birthdays. So, the one who has not his birthday is preparing the day, e.g. starting with a nice breakfast, make a trip to the sea, visiting another city, going to the theater or cinema in the evening, a concert or dinner with friends - just spending an awesome day together.

So, I don't know what will happen this Friday. Maybe, I will tell you on Monday.

Cheers!

Now it's monday and just in case you want to know what happened: we had dinner at an excellent Asian restaurant and then we visited a magician's theatre in Hamburg. The show was awesome.

9 answers

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

I've got quite a sad record on birthdays, and generally tend to completely ignore mine.  I've even been known to forget the date, which looks really bad when it's being used to confirm identity.

Mine falls in the middle of UK educational systems exam season.

From the age of 10 to 22 I had an exam on, or just after my birthday.  My best friend got engaged on my 21st and celebrated while I re-read "The Art of Electronics" in a quiet corner.

I never really broke the habit of ignoring my birthday.

But, I go for other people's!  Happy birthday Thomas!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2017

Well if you ever remember the date, please feel free to let us know and we won't forget!

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2017

My youngest child had the temerity to be born the day before my birthday. I haven't had my own celebration since then!

2 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2017

Thank you all for your congratulations and best wishes!

It's great and I really enjoy being a part of this community here. 

2 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2017

Happy Birthday, Thomas!!

For me, my birthday is now a bit of an emotional day because I live far from my family and I can not celebrate with them. Luckily, I have amazing friends/colleagues here in Atlassian and they always get me some cake, or cupcakes and that makes my day better! I also try to do something special with my boyfriend after work, I might copy Thomas' idea of taking the day of and preparing a surprise for the other one, love it!

Also, my birthday is on the 4th of July, so I'd really like to be in the United States during that day at some point in my life and have a whole country celebrating with me :P 

PS: Someone please tell me how to insert the emoticons!! :)

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2017

ctrl+cmd+SPACE 😬

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2017

I didn't know this would work in Community 😍

2 votes
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2017

@Thomas Schlegel, I love this post so much! I'm clinking with you virtually, and hope you have a fantastic birthday. 🥂

I try to do a big friend dinner for every birthday — there's nothing cooler than being surrounded by those who've had such a huge impact on my life over the past year. Attached is the latest round, when I turned the big 3-3. 😄

21272134_10105509832298822_4849593149431775931_n.jpg

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2017

Ah birthdays. I recall fondly the days when I had a tradition of gathering my friends and taking them to dinner whether they want to go or not. Nowadays I simply try to recall how old I am. Sad very sad. 🤡

1 vote
Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2017

Happy birthday @Thomas Schlegel!!

If my birthday falls on a weekday, my wife and I take the day off as well and spend it watching movies, eating a ridiculously long lunch, or getting that quiet booth at our favorite steak house and sip on some Malbec from Argentina. 

If it's a weekend, then it's a foodie's night out at my house. I cook for everyone that comes. Last year I made 30 handmade .75 lbs gourmet burger patties on brioche buns with all of the fixings. 

Years past, it's been bolognese, or Taiwanese beef noodle soup, or Japanese shabu-shabu. I like to mix it up 

0 votes
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2020

For my 40th, my best friend through a huge surprise party for me at my favorite pizza restaurant and I enjoyed having cake, pizza, and playing skeeball with my friends into the wee hours. I was genuinely surprised! She also created a box in which each person would answer questions about me on a little slip of paper about where they thought I would be in the future, what memories they most enjoyed with me, and more. It was heart warming. 

0 votes
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2017

For many years, wouldn't tell anyone when it was, it was just too disappointing to have everyone forget about it anyway. I always did something quietly, that I wanted to do. Go horseback riding, or hiking, or a movie etc

These days, facebook had outted my secret date, and I get all the Happy Birthday Wishes.  I still try to do something I want to do, but am busier with "life" things than I would like, so don't get the adventures I may wish for.  But, my BF makes me "Birthday Blintz" and generally spoils me so, that makes up for less adventures a bit.  Hope that tradition returns soon though!

*cheers from a far* and may your day be an awesome one!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2017

Facebook does have a way of outing us when it comes to birthdays!

0 votes
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2017

@Thomas Schlegel, Happy Birthday and enjoy whatever your special day brings you! What an uplifting Friday post. I also had a Friday birthday a few week's ago and was pleasantly surprised with a beautiful birthday cake from a new friend from this past Summit- @Brett Willson. Being in a new country, I didn't expect much, but it turned into a birthday I'll never forget. Cheers to an awesome community that brings people together virtually and in-person!

IMG_20171105_102215_675.jpg

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2017

That cake looks amazing o.o

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2017

I'll cheers to that! 🎉

Brett Willson March 12, 2018

:)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events