Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

We've all done the exit interview at some point, but have you ever had a "stay interview?"

Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Jun 30, 2021

Is there anything more tragic than an exit interview that ends with a manager saying "I'd wish I known this earlier?" or "Is there any way we can keep you?" By the time an exit interview rolls around, it’s probably too late to stop a good employee from quitting. So why don't more managers have "stay interviews" instead? Stay interviews are discussions to head off potential problems early, before anyone feels compelled to write up a resignation letter. Have you ever participated in one?

Read on for five key questions we think should be asked during a stay interview, and let us know what else you'd include!

3 comments

I haven't had one myself, but I wish I had. In one situation, I found out during my exit interview that my boss's boss wasn't aware of some of the issues that were troubling me – even though I'd raised them to my immediate supervisor. 

With that said, I wonder if it would be useful for department heads to drill down a level or two once a year, so they're touching people beyond their direct reports as well? In a healthy workplace culture, things are likely to get passed up the chain of command. In less congenial atmospheres, they may not. 

Like Kristen Roth likes this

Agile documentation is my favourite one. I like Confluence and Jira as well. Congratulations. Very professional.

Hi @Kristen Roth

You've started an exciting discussion, to which I wish I'll find the time to discuss it further on in the future. I'll begin by replying to you in your initial question:

Is there anything more tragic than an exit interview that ends with a manager saying "I'd wish I known this earlier?" or "Is there any way we can keep you?"

The answer is yes, there is something more tragic than this: A manager/employer who clearly even during your exit interview due to his pride and being the "boss" and stuff, avoids at any cost the to take the blame for you leaving the company.

In my experience, I've raised to my bosses many time things that were troubling me, but every.single.time my requests were either denied, or simply "forgotten". I'm not talking only about salary, but as well suggestions that would improve our team's everyday job and relations. Instead of looking up to me, they were looking down on me. After I left the company, I heard from former colleagues that all the things I suggested and told them about, they've now become clear to them. But it's too late now, isn't it? 

I believe in the constant evaluation of an employee, which will eventually lead to his/her evolution as a person, as a professional, as an individual. Managers and bosses should have the guts to talk more often with their employees and try to comprehend what they really say. They should not take this lightly, since employees are as important as any customer. Your questions were spot on! Rather than adding extra questions, I would only say that whoever makes these questions, should do it because he wants to, and not because he is obliged to.  

Like # people like this

Fresh start up again in new place of work recommended in order to increase work experiences. Just move on easily. The future is bright.

Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Jul 08, 2021

Thank you for sharing your insights and experience with us, @Alex Koxaras. You make great points. Sorry to hear about your requests to your manager being denied or forgotten but kudos to you for speaking up! I'm sure your feedback ended up helping your former colleagues.   

Like Alex Koxaras likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Off-topic

🏸 Atlympic Event: Community!

Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! badges! fun!) please read...

170 views 7 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you