Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My story of how I made my working routine better with the Whiteboards app

Deleted user December 11, 2020

As a marketer in a product company, I conduct a bunch of analyses every month. Usually, I operate on Confluence: create documents, add some structure to order my thoughts, and create tables inside.
I think the same routine is familiar almost to everyone amongst non-developers who use Jira and Confluence.

Recently, I've received a request from one of our developers. He wondered why a conversion rate from a product page visits to Try/Buy buttons clicks is different for two very similar products on Atlassian Marketplace: Whiteboards for Jira and Whiteboards for Confluence.
Okay, to answer this, I had to prepare some analysis and hypotheses. I would create a new page on our Confluence for this, but another idea came to my mind.

I need to admit that working on such analyses is quite a boring part of my job.
Additionally, I noticed that I follow the same sequence of actions from document to document, and not all of them are needed.
Moreover, it looks like that well-structured docs feed my inability to think outside the box.

The decision was right in front of my eyes - I was going to analyze Whiteboards product pages, so why not use this app for it?
Furthermore, I realized that I could share my experience publicly, spread the word about our apps, and show people, who might also have the same issues as I do, that there are other ways to go with our usual stuff.

So I opened Whiteboards for Jira...

Bringing some fun to make the first step easier

I wanted to call my analysis "Whiteboards for Jira vs. Whiteboards for Confluence. The conversion rate battle.", but shortened the name to “Whiteboards Conversion Rates Battle”.

In order to bring some fun, I found on giphy.com a couple of characters to emphasize the seriousness of the situation.

witheboards-jira-im1.png

Unfortunately, the screenshot doesn’t show the animation that I had on my board, but you can imagine that these guys are showing their readiness to start a fight.

Representing the power of data by embedding 3rd-party elements

Before I started digging into details, I decided to make sure that the contrast in conversion rates wasn’t caused by the different types of visitors we were getting onto these web pages.

Using Google Data Studio, I created two interactive dashboards with information about all necessary metrics and placed them face-to-face on my whiteboard. I played a bit with these tables and confirmed that one page showed a lower conversion rate for almost every represented traffic source.

whiteboards-jira-img2.jpg

Analyzing what looks better

My next step was to compare how pages look and come up with the hypotheses on how to improve the conversion rate for the losing page.

whiteboards-jira-img3.jpg

I put screenshots of the pages, brainstormed a couple of hypotheses, and even drew something.
Yes, it was exactly what I had been missing before.

Enabling magic to turn ideas into actions

In Whiteteboards for Jira app, it is possible to convert cards (virtual stickers) into Jira issues right from the board.

That’s what saved me some time after I prepared answers on what to do with hypotheses I generated a step before.

whiteboards-jira-img4.jpg

Getting support from the squadmates

So I conducted my small research, and now someone needs to do the job left  
It was a moment to split issues between my comrade in arms and me.

Whiteboards for Jira has a killer feature - Update Zones. It is something like visual automation.
You can create a zone on your board, and when an issue gets there, it will be updated automatically in Jira based on the rules you configured.

I created two zones with two workflows:

1. Issues will be assigned to me;

2. Issues will be assigned to my colleague Aga.

We found it as a super convenient way to split tasks during our remote planning calls. Just drag and drop issues, and all done.

whiteboards-jira-img6.jpg

Finishing it…

I hope you found my story worth reading and you will give Whiteboards for Jira or Confluence a try.

Fatality_(Mortal_Kombat_screenshot).png

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events