Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Miscellaneous Monday - Your comfort TV show

hello.gif

Greetings, friends! It's been a minute since I've visited this neck of the woods, but when @Fun Man Andy asks you to craft a thread for Miscellaneous Monday (on your birthday, no less!), you enthusiastically oblige.

I've been consuming a lot of content lately, and by content, I mean all of the shows that friends and family have been recommending for many months now. "Gilmore Girls" had always been at the top of the list, and so I decided to jump in recently. I couldn't believe how much it immediately felt like a hug from a friend, complete with charming small town vibes, lightning-fast dialogue, and lovable characters. It certainly hasn't replaced my all-time favorite comfort show, "Schitt's Creek," but it feels like the perfect way to usher in my favorite season (fall) in New York.

So that begs the question: What is your all-time favorite comfort show? The one you always return to when the rest of the world feels too chaotic? Let me know in the comments. 😄

19 comments

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

Look who's slumming it on this side of the tracks! Happy Birthday @Erica Moss

I think my "always go back to tv-show" while not so much comforting but one to lose myself in when you just need to relax is "Stargate SG-1"

Humor/sci-fi/fun storylines and the idea that it would just be fun to be able to "escape" to other worlds. I can just rewatch these seasons forever I think :)

Like # people like this
Robert Wen Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

BTW, Happy birthday, @Erica Moss !

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Andy Gladstone Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

@Erica Moss wow! So nice to see you here (and not just on LinkedIn). Happy Birthday! 🎂

I'd agree with @Robert Wen - Ted Lasso has quickly become a binge-able comfort show. For me though it's gotta be The West Wing. No matter how crazy the world gets, I can always retreat there to see how government should really work for the people. 

Another Sorkin classic, The Newsroom, also has the same appeal to me.

Like # people like this

@Andy Gladstone Thank you! And my friends and I have definitely talked about investing in a "West Wing" marathon.

Like # people like this

Happy birthday, Mossy! So good to see you. 💙

The Office (both US and UK versions) and Friends have both been comfort-watches at various points in my life, but lately It's been The Golden Girls:

Like # people like this
Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Jack Brickey Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

Hi Erica and happy birthday!!

They have been so many awesome TV series over the years it's hard to pick out just one. I guess since I have to be pinned down I would have to say M*A*S*H. I don't ever recall missing it in the 11 seasons which is pretty amazing when you consider this was before the days of binging DVRs. The comedy was very witty and the characters both complex and simple at the same time.

Radar Mash GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Like # people like this

@Jack Brickey Thank you, my dear! Can we still be friends if I've never seen "M*A*S*H?" 🙈

Happy Birthday @Erica Moss!

I have to agree with you on the "Gilmore Girls" as I just adore that show and even the new series Netflix did was great! And I agree with @Robert Wen and @Andy Gladstone on Ted Lasso as that show is just so fun. BUT my go to is This is Us! That show just tugs at the heartstrings, makes you cry (in a good way), and has so much love in it! 

Like # people like this

@Summer_Hogan Thank you! 🙌🏼

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Jimmy Seddon Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

Happy Birthday @Erica Moss!

Ok, first, when I saw that you had made a post, I thought this must have been a mistake, but thank you for coming back for some good old fun!

I have watched all of Gilmore Girls multiple times, and I think what I enjoy about it is the fact that they (if I read correctly) have about 60 minutes of dialogue in every 40 minute episode, which is why they talk as fast as they do so often.

My go to would have to be Power Rangers.  I grew up with and and watching it now, it's just fun and silly and it makes me laugh which is generally what I'm looking for.

I hope you have a wonderful Birthday!

Like # people like this

@Jimmy Seddon Thank you! And I haven't seen "Power Rangers" in years — what a classic.

Brittany Joiner Community Leader Aug 31, 2022

Jimmy i also thought that 😂 i literally had to look at this twice cause i was like wait what?!?! haha

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Aug 29, 2022

Happy birthday friendo!

Gilmore Girls is my wife's comfort show, she's been through it probably 6 or 7 times. And mine's roughly the same amount of watching, but is Star Trek: The Next Generation

8284865ca4a4a99ccab552926f9874f3

It just never gets old, no matter how many rewatches! (except for a super small number of clunker episodes)

Or Parks & Recreation for the comedy moods. There's a Parks & Rec quote for nearly anything 😁

Like # people like this

@Daniel Eads Thank you! You and @Brittany Joiner rep hard for "Parks & Rec." 😄

Like # people like this

The HARDEST of repping!

Like Erica Moss likes this
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

@Erica Moss I am told by my family boring documentary-type shows like how it's made seem to be my go-to.  Learn and veg. 

Like # people like this

@Brant Schroeder I love a good documentary — I've heard the new Woodstock one is good!

nina_schmidt Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

@Erica Moss happy Birthday again!!!👏🎉🎊🎁😊

I can‘t decide between „See“ with Jason Momoa and the „Nanny“ 😂 and you dragged me into „Schitt‘s Creek“ 😊 

I‘d say See 👀

giphy-downsized

Like # people like this

@nina_schmidt My friends and I watched some of "The Nanny," too!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this

Happy Happy Birthday @Erica Moss!! So glad to see you around 😍

I never had the habit of watching TV shows, but in the past months, I watched a good amount of various stuff while having dinner. A new family habit, I guess (and Netflix/Amazon/HBO subscriptions, haha).

However, I found myself binge-watching Seinfeld, and it left a mark on my heart. I never watched a comedy so smart and genuine. It definitely became my island for bad days 😊

download.jpeg

Like # people like this

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_ Thank you! 😄 And "Seinfeld" is such a good one.

Like # people like this

My husband and I have been watching Seinfeld on Netflix and it's like an old friend. I watched it growing up so it is great to re-watch some of those classic episodes!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Sep 10, 2022

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_ 

Seinfeld is a great show.

Like # people like this
Isha Community Manager Aug 31, 2022

@Erica Moss Happy belated birthday friend! So glad to see you pop in here again. My go-to comfort show is Curb your Enthusiasm.

No one makes being socially awkward more appealing than Larry David. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pex_0zg9EsE

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras Community Leader Aug 31, 2022

Happy birthday @Erica Moss !

Wonderful topic! Plenty of shows to choose from and they all feel like a warm welcome! I really can't pick one, since almost in every age I had a different one, which at that time satisfied my  age's needs ;)

With no order of preference I would say:

• Mythbusters
  • Friends
  • Sherlock
  • Once upon a time.... life
  • Big bang theory
  • South park
Like # people like this

@Alex Koxaras Thank you! "Friends" is a classic.

Like Alex Koxaras likes this

@Erica Moss it's so good to see you here!!!!

And what a lovely thread. I'm so happy you're getting into Gilmore Girls!! Now that makes me want to rewatch it... but I'm also just getting into One Tree Hill and trying to finish all of that haha. 

As far as comfort show... wow, it's honestly a real toss up between the Office, Parks and Rec, and Friends. If you force me to pick just one it's gonna be Parks and Rec for sure, but they all three are pretty dang close!

Like # people like this

Happy B-Day @Erica Moss !!!!

My favourite comfort show is ... IT Crowd

It Crowd GIF - It Crowd Moss - Discover & Share GIFs | It ...

It makes me laugh and relaxes me thinking about my colleagues :D

Like # people like this

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ Thank you! And I haven't seen that one. 😄

@Erica Moss - I would say it's the Blackadder, The IT Crowd and House MD.

@Erica Moss I totally understand Gilmore girls being at the top of your list :) I like rewatching Modern Family, Friends... and I'd also add movies to the list: Anne of Green Gables (the very old one) and Harry Potter :) 

Oh man, it is so hard to pick one. I really watch a lot of tv. I would have to say the shows that I can just watch over and over, also because I can manage to see them on my streaming platforms are The Office (USA) and Superstore. There are many, many more shows that I follow, using this app TV Time, but those are my top two.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Craig Nodwell Community Leader Sep 28, 2022

Gotta be Mash

Like Monique vdB likes this

Comment

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events