cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fun with Personality Types and Preferences

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2019

Happy Friday and last day of August! In case "Beach Reads and Productivity Fun" wasn't fun enough for you I decided to a double the fun and write a post on personality types and psychometrics. There was an interesting thread on introverts and extroverts in the Atlassian Authors group a few months ago, and I thought it would be fun to post here to get your views on the various psychometric tools and assessments that evaluate your preferences and personalities. 

I am certified in these Psychometric tools and I find them fascinating:

Insights Discovery: I am Green, Yellow, Red, Blue (in that order) - The Helper

Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): I am ENFJ - The Giver

Everything DiSC:  I am an i type - Influencer

personality.jpg

As well as a few "fun" ones you can do online within a few minutes:

The Four Tendencies (Gretchen Rubin) I am an "Upholder"

16 personalities  I am a "Protagonist"

~~~~~~~~~

-Do you take stock in personality and preference assessments or take them with a grain of salt?

-Which one is your favourite or least favourite?

-Does your workplace use any from the list, or do you know of others not listed that are useful and effective?

Looking forward to your responses :)

11 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 29, 2019

I was very disappointed that I was unable to take the paper on psychometric testing during my degree due to timetable clashes. 

Assessments like these can help people work together when they are used to help facilitate a shared vocabulary.

They can be mis-used though especially during the recruitment process.

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2019

Sorry to hear that your timetable clashed, you may be interested in doing a certification online or in-person on one of the psychometrics sometime. I agree they are very useful for teams, in getting to know individuals various preferences and communication styles.

For example in Insights Discovery the Red energy means "Be brief, be bright, be gone" and the Green energy is "Show me you care". I had a colleague that would send me an email "Send me the strategic plan", when I had not talked to this individual for two weeks. But that is their personality preference "red energy". Where my style would be: Hi there, I hope all is well with you and you are having a great summer. I am working on Strategic Plan updates, could you please send me the most recent version? Thanks so much and have a fantastic day!"

Once we understand the preferences, we can adapt our styles when working together, it also helps avoid conflict when we know where the other person is coming from.

I agree about these tools sometimes being mis-used, or some saying I am "Yellow energy, I can't do Blue energy". Where in fact we can do all four colour energies, it just takes more effort to do things outside our preference.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 29, 2019

At my last workplace we focused on our preference over our behaviour. I ended up with ISFJ - the Practical Helper.

When I read out my results one of my teammates said "But Kat doesn't have feelings!"

The look on the facilitator's face was priceless. I found the reaction funny but she expected me to be upset.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2019

Your teammate must have not have realized that extroverts and introverts express "feelings' in different ways. My grandmother never told her family that she loved them, when I was young I asked her why. And she said I love my family but I don't need to tell them, they already know by my actions. You may not wear your feelings on your sleeve but you show how you care in other ways.

Like David Steele likes this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2019

I love taking these types of tests, they give me insight into why I think and act the way I do. So I guess there should be no surprise that I just did the "16 personalities" and got "Logician (INTP-A)" as my type. 

Now I want to take the rest and see if they match up. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2019

Nice, Scott! Love that you came out the Logician as your type. Let me know if you have other psychometrics that you are particularly fond of.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 30, 2019

I think I'm INFP but does that make me the Helper, the Mediator, or the Idealist? Google can't decide!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2019

Great question Mo, let me go back to my MBTI Certification material and have a look. There are type and temperaments but I will do some screen shots for your personality type :)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2019

Hi @Monique vdB here is a link to the description of your profile, on page 2 at the top it says you are an Idealist. I will also add a few more screen shots. There are different names depending on how it is being applied.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2019

Here are a few MBTI pages, you will need to read them sideways, not sure why they flipped.IMG_4240.JPGIMG_4241.JPGIMG_4242.JPGIMG_4243.JPGIMG_4244.JPG

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2019

I'm open to telling people what kind of person I am, what works well for me and so on. But I'm also difficult enough not to want to put myself in boxes defined by other people. I'll put myself in my own boxes, thank you. 

But there's probably a test out there with a prepared box for that kind of person - Bloody Minded

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2019

So true @Matt Doar I agree with not putting ourselves in boxes (or having other people put us into them). I like doing the assessment as I tend to find out more about myself through the process. The great part about the assessment is there is no right or wrong personality type, it is just about preference. An introvert can be extroverted but it just takes more energy and vice versa etc.

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2019

I have taken the Myers Briggs every 2 years and once I got INTP when I was early 20's and recently (last year) got INTJ-T.

These types of tests I believe need to be taken every couple of years since people are always changing. Life events can change perspective and might even change the answers someone gives later in life. 

For the Insights discovery I got green, blue, yellow, red. I take a lot of these with a grain of salt...just like horoscopes. I do see a lot of commonalities in my personality and the tests but there are some things that are a little off or not really like me. 

Such a good topic!! Excited to see if a lot of us have some of these tests in common!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2019

That's awesome Brittany! It is neat to see that changing from P to J - you may have been more "fly by the seat of your pants" in your early 20s, and now more of a planner "J", and doing more of the homework up front. An example on whether you are P or J, could be when you travel do you do a packing list, or an itinerary or do some research on places to see up front, or do you go with the flow and find out when you get there?

I am ENFJ and my husband is ENFP, I read a book when we first got together MBTI for couples. We used to have disagreements when making plans (he preferred to not make plans - fly by the seat of his pants) where I am a huge planner. We now meet in the middle, it was a great book and outlines the differences and similarities in preference and personality type.

Like Brittany Wispell likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2019

Oh! these profile tests are great fun. Sometimes they are true also.

If you are fan of Super Hero try this one http://hero-me.com/about.html

"I'm Batman"

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2019

Thanks for sharing this @DPKJ - so fun! I am Xavier (ENFJ)

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2019

Love this! I got Emma Frost. 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2019

I usually tend to take these tests with a grain of salt, since they lack context and make up for it by bashing you with tons of generic questions. I took the 16 personalities test, and got INFJ-T (Turbulent Advocate) which supposedly makes me special (not sure in what way though)... right ?

Actually the follow-up read was really interesting, making me want to check their premium content.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2019

Thanks @Antoine Berry this is a great visual from the 16 personalities that gives a bit more detail :)

IMG_4312 (1).jpg

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2019

Nice, I feel like a RPG player now. :)

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2019

Lol too funny! :)

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2019

Thank @Jodi LeBlanc! I love that this because it's own topic from the comments of another Friday Fun post.

Just out of curiosity I have taken two of them now and both times ended up with ISFJ (Defender).

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2019

Oh I didn't realize it was in the comments of another Friday-Fun post too. I was referencing the topic from the Atlassian Authors group post by Bridget called are you an Introvert or Extrovert? :)

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2019

I've taken a couple of those test myself and I think they can be helpful for a snapshot analysis of my current tendencies. However, I think it is important to realize that these tests almost always have analysis points that don't quite fit. It is important to realize that we are all individuals and sometime as test can't quite capture everything about us. It can be helpful to see how certain circumstances maybe perceived by us and how that might affect our  behavior, but sometimes our humanness asserts itself and we don;t fit into the mold. I think it is also important to realize that we change over time. I am not the person I was in college when I took the Myers Briggs and DISC test. I might not still be an SC.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2019

So very true @Davin Studer and we can't use the outcome of these tests as an excuse to not do things are not necessarily our preference. I love the tools, I just don't love when people box themselves in. We can all do everything, it just takes more energy to do things that don't necessarily come naturally to us. This is where the magic happens.

My preference is not to spreadsheets or analysis to data, but because I pushed myself the last few years to do these things, it now is much easier for me. I don't love it, but I can do it from all the practice I have had :)

I

Like Davin Studer likes this
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2019

I think personality tests can be helpful tools for reflection, but I do feel wary about assessments being used in hiring. 

My workplace did the DISC assessment as well as a test called Strengthsfinder. The Strengthfinder started some positive conversations about what we each have to contribute, while the DiSC assessment started us talking about similarities & differences in the ways we think and act.

Years ago, I took Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and was an INFP. My DiSC profile was a DC type - Creative pattern 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2019

Thanks for sharing @Sharon Helms - I have not heard of the Strengthsfinder assessment but I will be sure to check it out now :)

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

We recently ran a group Meyers Briggs sessions in our teams and I found it to be an interesting exercise. I would say I consider myself to 'take it with a grain of salt' (maybe that's just my ENTP way), but I can see a certain pattern that can be held across the personality types that were displayed in the room.

Where I would be more cautious is in taking action based on the results of a personality test. One of my takeaways from the session is that the personality types demonstrate the strongest side of one's way of thinking and acting. But I still believe that we are all capable of molding to each situation in order to bring balance to what we are currently facing.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2020

That's fantastic @Fernando Bordallo :) Yes the key is not to box yourself into a type, we can all do anything, it just takes more effort. The MBTI really just outlines our preferences, and the team activity is so great for adapting and connecting with teams.

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events