Friday Fun: What's your favorite quote?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2018

Hi all!

You've probably heard a lot of famous quotes: smart, hilarious, inspiring ones... Maybe some of them kind-of related to an Atlassian product?

I really love those pieces of wisdom concentrated in just a few words!

I'll start with a Confluence/documentation one:

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

―  Albert Einstein

Some people just write to show they know a lot of things, instead of explaining stuff in layman's terms, so that anyone can understand them.

This one is an advice to Jira admins:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

― Ernst F. Schumacher

It's your turn now, so: What's your favorite quote?

Funny Friday!

25 comments

Comment

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2018

Nice quotes, @Ignacio Pulgar, especially the Jira related one!

This is a generally classic quote, but it can apply to the situation at hand too.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

-The Princess Bride

Happy Friday!

Like Davin Studer likes this
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2018

Good one, @carolyn french!

And there are also sellers of analgesic pills who don't even have to contradict that truth! :P

Sometimes I find it difficult to assess whether a quote is a realistic or a pesimistic one.

I wonder how can we turn that phrase into a more positive one, maybe:

"Live is joy, Highness. Anyone who says differently wants you not to buy something." :D

Kidding...

Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

A nice one from Red Dwarf for those moments when you just can't make any headway. :)

"Let's at least ask someone who's at least going to give us a slightly more intelligent opinion. Hello, wall! What do you think? "

Ignacio Pulgar February 23, 2018

Hahaha, nice one! xD

Dhara Mistry-Kansagra February 23, 2018

:D Awesome!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

"Wisdom must be gathered, not given."

(To which the retort was "Don't philosophise at me, you electronic moron!")

I'm also quite fond of this one when you're asked to do something dangerous (or visit a client who is a pain)

"I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going."

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

LoL 😂

Danny Zuccaro
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2018

One I have had to keep reminding myself about lately is:

"There is a difference between listening and waiting for your turn to speak."

-Simon Sinek

Really need to practice this one a lot more. 

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

I love it!

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2018

Ooo, yes. This is a good one for me to remember @Danny Zuccaro.

Alexis_Pruitt February 23, 2018

“You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

It sort of sums up our step by step process at work.

Like Jonny Adams likes this
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

Nice one! It reminds me of:

"How do you eat an elephant?

In small pieces."

Alexis_Pruitt February 23, 2018

@Ignacio PulgarLol.  Haven't heard that one in a long time.  Still true!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2018

Haha, pure chance, I started to watch House of Cards today and in the first episode of the first season, there was exactly this elephant joke 😄

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2018

A funny one: 

Except for death and paying taxes,
Everything in life is only for now!

It's a line from Avenue Q, one of my favourite Musical Shows.

Think of that, when you're worrying too much about something, it's only for now 😄

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel Of course ours are both theater-related. 😄

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018
My grandpa used to say this popular proverb:
"In this life everything has a solution, except for death"
And also:
"The united family will never be defeated"
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 23, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel continued proof that we're soulmates, I love Avenue Q! My brother just played Princeton/Rod in a local production. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2018

@Monique vdB - awesome 😄 I've seen it in Las Vegas, New York and the German version in Sankt Gallen, Switzerland. Kate Monster is so cute!

Max Cascone February 23, 2018

Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool; than to speak, and remove all doubt.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

Haha, that's a classic and a really good one! 😄👌

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

"When you were born, you held infinite promise. You're older, you're all banged up by life. But you hold that promise still." — Lin Manuel Miranda

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

That's a beatiful thought, even poetic I'd say!

The kind of phrase that can make us connect with our most sincere inner selves.

Thanks for sharing!!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

@Ignacio Pulgar He's a genius, for sure!

Alexis_Pruitt February 24, 2018

Love this quote.  How absolutely true.@erica moss

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

- Jack Handy

Like Jonny Adams likes this
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

😂🤛😭

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 23, 2018

I loved this quote from The Last Jedi: "The greatest teacher, failure is." Also "what other people think of me is none of my business" -- RuPaul. 

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2018

Good ones! 😀

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2018

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

- Groucho Marx

Monique vdB
Community Manager
February 25, 2018

lol!

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2018

I particulally love this one:

"Nothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it."

- Daniel Kahneman

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2018

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

A gem of a line!

Alexis_Pruitt February 26, 2018

I love this one.

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams 

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2018

My favourite as always! <3

“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” 
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2018

This is a beautiful one :)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2018

Great one.

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2018

"Love will find its way through all languages on its own."
Rumi

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2018

Nice one!! :)

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2018

From Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Grace:   "Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads--they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

I aspire to achieve the level of acceptance and respect that Ferris held with all the different social groups in his school.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2018

A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but tactical thermonuclear weaponry is a man's best friend!

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2018

Not gonna lie. While I was learning how Confluence worked for my job, I started putting quotes in my personal space blog so I could play with some of the different macros and then continued to post quotes cause people were reading them. Here are some of my favorites from Thoughts of a Fortune Cookie:

On Heth.png

Note: I actually go by Heth (Rhymes with Seth) not Heather.

ON Life.png

What one of my idols said to me.

On Physics.png

From a book I wrote in high school.

On Pure Evil.pngOn Reality.pngOn Retirement.png

Gimhani Karunarathne May 25, 2018

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the fuck you were gonna do anyway."
― Robert Downey Jr.

S
potted this at office quotes board 

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2018

Hahaha, good one! That's the strategy I used to use with my mum, but it is dangerous. While you are on "I don't mind what you say" mode, maybe someone else is hearing and lead to wrong conclusions.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2018
Edit: Can a comment be deleted?
Emily Errico June 21, 2018

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 22, 2019

"Future doesn’t happen because we fail to plans, but because we fail to imagine it." - I can't remember.

Victor

Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

You can't always get what you want But if you try sometimes, well, you might find You get what you need

Like Ignacio Pulgar likes this
Tai Saxty March 16, 2020

Go forth and Thrash, for thou art Not a Duck!

not really sure its origin but the sentiment behind it is a good one!

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2020

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Like Monique vdB likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events