Friday Fun: What's Your Hidden Superpower?

Patrick Cleary April 19, 2019

For my Friday Fun topic, I'd like to know what odd, interesting, or just plain weird "superpower" you have. Something that probably won't come in handy to save the world, but you never know!

For instance, years ago, when I was in an improv comedy troupe, I discovered that I can make up rhymes in the mode of Dr. Seuss about almost anything, on the spot. I can also rewrite song lyrics in real-time, given just about any prompt. It's a bit of a hit on Twitter and Facebook if I'm fast enough to post, but otherwise...not helpful in any other situation!

What's your hidden superpower?

12 comments

Comment

Karen O'Keefe April 19, 2019

I can write in a mirror image with both hands at the same time. In other words, My right hand writes traditionally from left to right, while my left hand writes backwards from right to left. It's less of a superpower than a fun party trick. I've been doing it since high school (40 years ago). Goodness knows how I discovered I could do that.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

Me too, sort of

Like Karen O'Keefe likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

wow! that is impressive for sure!

Like Karen O'Keefe likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

It appears from anecdotal evidence that left-handed people can easily write in all kinds of weird ways.  I can write cursively upside down from right to left pretty well - with no practice as can many left-handers.

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2019

One of my superpowers is getting lost in the subways. No matter how familiar they are, how many times I've been there or anything :) Always choosing the wrong side.

Besides that, I think my leading superpower is cooking - I know what types of food to combine, the exact quantities without measuring them or creating some strange experiments which are pretty good at the end (like brownies with lentils, cheesecake flan, flatbreads from almost anything, etc.). :)

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

I've thought about this before. 

1. Reading very, very fast. Most fiction books only last a couple of hours.

2. Remembering most of what I read, if I care about it

3. Above average hearing. Used to drive my kids crazy when they tried to whisper

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

that definitely isn't one of my powers but sure wish it were. i love to read but it takes me forever.

Like Payne likes this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

Yeah, half my family is fast and half is ... not so fast

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

original-2291119-1.jpg
Now I think about it, the fast ones in the family were unusually fast when they learned to read. Not something that came along later.

Like Eric Dupuis likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

I have just recently discovered my newest superpower. I have an innate ability to win at auctions! I have used this power to amass tools for my workshop which has proven to be for the betterment of the entire world, errrrr well at least my neighbors anyway. :-)

diy.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 22, 2019

My secret superpower is being able to manifest great parking spots. I like to think that it's the sheer power of my laziness at work in the universe. 

Like # people like this
Karen O'Keefe April 25, 2019

I call that good Carma.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 22, 2019

I can lick my elbow! I know that according to the cool kids on the playground this means that I should have turned into a boy, but here I am...

I can achieve this feat thanks to my double jointed elbows that allow me to rotate my arm in a way that I can easily reach my elbow. 

There you have it! I'm not sure this superpower will save any lives, but hey. 

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

LOL!!! you definitely when here and am reserving a spot for you in my re-Avengers team!

Like Bridget likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

Ok @Bridget , this I gotta see!  Please advise when you visit Austin so I can come personally marvel at this grand feat of contortion!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2019

I have two ...

1. I have the ability to not be seen in plain sight. I don't know maybe I'm just too quiet or something, but there have been an inordinate amount of times where I am right next to someone and they ask the question "Where's Davin?" Also, probably about half the time the sliding door at the grocery store doesn't open for me. I have to back up and try again before it will open.
  2. I have the super ability to camp in the rain. No matter what time of the year it is it ALWAYS rains when I go camping. I think I may be able to single-handedly solve droughts by simply pitching a tent.
Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2019

Count me in! 

* On company meetings: everyone shares his vision about the topic and just before my turn "And that was it, great, let's go to lunch!". 

* Every camping I couldn't sleep a single minute because my tent is filling up with water (the forecasts are perfect every time of course).

Like Davin Studer likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

IMG_7999.JPG

Nuff said?  :-P

Like # people like this
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

Right there with you @LarryBrock 

Like Patrick Cleary likes this
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

My secret power is remembering useless hip hop songs from the 90's -00's. I can finish the lyrics to songs, tell you who was the artist, what label they were signed too, etc, etc. Too bad Jeopardy doesn't have a section for this ha ha.

Like # people like this
Jens Iwanenko April 23, 2019

Lot's of them... let's see.

• Jingles! You can trigger lots of jingles by just saying a single word. Works also for songs I have heard on the radio at least once.
  • Remembering stuff. Unfortunately, I have difficulties recalling anything useful (it's there, I know it), but I can tell you lots of totally useless facts.
  • I do have great navigational skills. @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ would be able to make good use of that.
  • Evasional skills. I wear glasses. I didn't when I was a teenager (because uncool), so I had to dodge obstacles when they suddenly appeared in front of me.
  • Pair the last two, I can move through crowds really fast. I had to learn this because of my next superpower in order to get through the station and catch my train on time.
  • Sleeping.

I think that sums it up. :)

Like # people like this
Esther Strom April 24, 2019

My superpower is the ability to always be in the wrong lane, whether it's in traffic or a checkout line at the store. I have yet to find a way to use this to my advantage :)

My useful superpower is my memory. I can remember conversations I had in grade school (~40 years ago) like they happened yesterday. I also have a brain full of semi-useful facts, which has made me pretty popular with pub quiz groups.

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 26, 2019

I'm envious of all these superpowers!

My "bad" superpower is being directionally challenged.  Tell me to turn north at street X and I'll be totally lost.  My "good" superpower is that I'm always the favorite aunt as I'll play any game.  That only lasts until they're about ten, and then I'm just "old" like every other adult.  ;-)

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events