It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Friday Fun: How do you do BBQ? Edited

When it comes to BBQing, some people treat it as an art and a science. Have it be a rack of ribs, veggie kababs or a baked potato, there are infinite ways to prepare and cook your favorite dish. Everyone has a special way they grill or smoke their dish and this is where you share that long kept family secret of how you prepare your favorite BBQ dish and how you cook it. Add your favorite side dish too so we can complete the meal.

My favorite is dry rubbed baby back ribs smoked using pecan wood and candied with BBQ sauce. Comes out with an amazing sweet smokey flavor and falls apart when you eat them. Served with Brussels sprouts and asparagus sauteed in balsamic vinegar and Himalayan salt.

Now share what your favorite BBQ dish is! Add pictures or a recipe to make it come to life!

9 comments

My two favorites are brisket and prime rib.  I tend to keep things simple and buy quality meats. I want to taste the meat, so I try not to hide it with sauces. For brisket, I use cajun style dry rub. If I'm honest, I just get the cheap stuff from Safeway. I give the brisket a light dusting and press it in to the meat. I use just enough to get a little spiciness and salt in to the bark.

I let the brisket rest for a few hours at room temperature before putting it on the bbq. I like to bbq slow & low, so I target cooking temp between 190F-200F.  I target 195F internal meat temperature doneness and the amount of time it takes to cook varies. Once I pull the meat out of the bbq, I let it rest in a plastic cooler for a minimum of 1 hour, which helps the juices to thicken and not run out when I slice. I did a prime brisket last weekend that turned out nice. My favorite wood for low & slow bbq beef is prune wood. I also use peach, apple and almond wood frequently.

Here's a shot of last weekend's brisket, bbq'ed for 16 hours over apple & peach :) It didn't suck.

66035566_2444587145562341_2105849214285119488_n.jpg

Like # people like this

Mother of brisket, that looks amazing!

Like # people like this

We take things seriously around here hehe

Like Stephen Sifers likes this

Oh my! That looks so good!

Jack Community Leader Jul 11, 2019

one of my favorite topics to be sure! I love firing up my Big Green Egg on the weekends and cooking a brisket or pork shoulder for 14-16hrs. My doorbell seems to ring more often during those long smokes. Neighbors just checking in to see if there is anything they can help me with. ;-)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f5.jpg

Like # people like this

Looking good! I also bbq in a kamado and put a tray of water below the meat like this.

Yummy I am now hungry and it’s 9AM here. 

John Funk Community Leader Jul 12, 2019

Nothing like the Big Green Egg! Smoked 5 racks of ribs on the 4th of July and feed lots of hungry family and friends.  :-)

Next day it was burgers and dogs. Great flavor and moist meat!

Hey guys, just on time. Tomorrow is ribs day on the Big Green Egg, almond wood for me :-). 5-6 hours on ~200F followed by quick baste with BBQ sauce and bourbon and flash charring on the hot coals. Will try to post pictures tomorrow :-).

Here is what I like to pair my BBQ with:IMG_2293.JPG

Rachel Wright Community Leader Jul 11, 2019

I think the only correct answer must be: with Atlanta ACE leader @Ed Gaile [Atlanta, GA] 's BBQ sauce!  https://edgailebbq.com/  I totally love the hidden talents and side gigs present in this community!   Gooooo Ed!

@Chris Lutz has also become quite the grill master and chef.  Two Summits ago I came back to no less than homemade 10 sauces ready to go with whatever meat was for dinner.   I put sauce on everything.  I can't decide if I like vinegar-based sauce better or the more traditional sauce.  I think there's room for both!

I'm so hungry now.  Great topic idea @Stephen Sifers .

Like # people like this

Who is the person who has the insane BBQ setup in their yard -- is it @LarryBrock ?

Mo - 

I have 5 smokers in my back yard plus a trailer smoker.  I have a problem...but I am ok with that.

-Ed

Like Bridget likes this
John Funk Community Leader Jul 15, 2019

Not sure I see a problem there.  ;-)

BBQs seem to be fancy these days. I am a fan of the classic red meat cooked outside at high heat.

No fancy spices or sauces. Served with bread, Watties tomato sauce, and maybe some salads for me to ignore.

Like # people like this
BiancaE Atlassian Team Jul 17, 2019

"and maybe some salads for me to ignore." 😂 nice! 

BBQ is my other life outside of my technology day job and I love it. 

• have a competition BBQ team
  • teach grilling/smoking classes privately and at a cooking school
  • Catering business (use Trello to manage) and just started bottling sauces, rubs, and pickles
  • Love learning different techniques and types or BBQ from different cultures. Just came back from Jamaica and did a lot of research on their 'Jerk' methods...got a try it myself now.

BBQ is the great equalizer in my opinion - bringing people from all walks of life together to enjoy some good eats.

I have way too many pictures - if you want to be really bored, you can spin through my instagram @edgailebbq 

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc Community Leader Jul 15, 2019

I have only BBQ'd once in my life, got thrown right in when my team was doing a BBQ for the Food Bank and Soup Kitchen. I cooked 50 burgers and 50 hotdog, and only one person cam back with a red middle. Not bad for my first (and only) BBQing experience :)

Jimmy Seddon Community Leader Jul 16, 2019

Personally, the how is less important than the fact that a BBQ is the prefferred cooking medium.

I live in Canada, and I have been known to shovel a path on my deck from the door to the BBQ so that I can continue to use it in the winter!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc Community Leader Jul 17, 2019

Die hard Canadians we are :)

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this

I might be the anomaly here but I love, love, love grilled peaches from the BBQ grill! I put a little goat cheese in the middle and drizzle some balsamic, and 🤤🤤🤤eat it all up! 

Like # people like this

I see nothing anomalous in that behavior. Figs are awesome on the grill too. If you can find sweet heirloom tomatoes they re amazing grilled.  I like to char the skin and peel back the char to expose the fruit.  I've also got a couple pizza stones that I use to make wood fire pizza with in one of my bbqs.

Like Bridget likes this

ooo, yes @Dave Theodore -Coyote Creek Consulting- ! I haven't tried grilled heirloom tomatoes before but they're just coming in to season here in California so I will have to try that next time we fire up the grill.

Oh my!! Grilled peaches and grilled figs sound divine! Glad it's nearly supper time here, I may have to experiment :)

Like BiancaE likes this
Bridget Community Manager Jul 17, 2019

I'm more of a sides kinda gal! I love a delicious egg salad (call me old fashioned)!

I've also had this lemony pasta recipe bookmarked, perhaps I will finally try it out this weekend! 

Jodi LeBlanc Community Leader Jul 17, 2019

Sounds unbelievable 🥗 🥚 🍋 🍝 

Comment

Community showcase
Published in Off-topic

Atlassian Community Guide to A+ Articles

Stop: Articles and permission Article-writing permissions are given to Leaders, Marketplace Vendors, Solutions Partners, Atlassian Team members, and those who are Level 4 + above. But for any aspir...

150 views 11 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you