Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketplace Apps Not Included in Community Discount for Data Center?

Ryan Butler March 20, 2024

We are a small nonprofit that had been using Server for our Confluence and Jira instances. When Server was announced to be on its way out with no word on nonprofit pricing, we like many nonprofits were worried that we would be forced out. But in 2021, Atlassian made this post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Data-Center-articles/Introducing-Data-Center-Community-licenses/ba-p/1539124 where they claimed that they were "introducing free Data Center Community subscriptions (covering both product and Marketplace apps)". It was a great relief to us. We initially believed that this program would operate similarly to how it did for Server and how it currently does for Cloud, we being able to automatically add discounted Marketplace apps to our account. But after migrating to Data Center we found that we could not automatically add discounted apps and were only given the option to purchase at full price. We submitted a ticket to Atlassian to get more info and a support rep informed us that for Data Center we would need to request each Marketplace app to get community pricing. 

We followed the Atlassian rep's instructions and submitted a request from the form they linked us https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/community-license-request#/ . At the bottom of the form they have a section for "Which apps do you want to include in your Community license request". We selected what apps we rely on for our Confluence and Jira instances and submitted the request. However, when an Atlassian rep responded to our request we were then told that they "are unable to offer Community licensing for Data Center applications," and attached a quote for $202k to use our 11 apps for a single year. We were frankly shocked. We are a small nonprofit and that sum is twice as much as our entire annual tech budget. We followed up with this rep and they said, "I must inform you that Data Center applications are no longer eligible for a non-profit discount. However, you might be able to obtain promo codes to help mitigate the cost directly from the vendor of the applications". When was this change made between the forum post in 2021 to now? Where was it announced? We checked on Marketplace vendor pages and many FAQs for nonprofit pricing still link to the above form with no mention of contacting them directly for promo codes.

Following Atlassian's suggestion, we contacted a Marketplace vendor. The vendor we reached out to was also not aware of this policy change. They were still under the impression that nonprofit discounts for Marketplace apps were automatically granted when approved for an Atlassian community license, thus they had no promo code. So, again, how did Atlassian announce this change? Did they tell vendors? What are we supposed to do at this point? We rely on these addons but there's no possible way for us to purchase these addons at full price, let alone pay the renewal every year. It increasingly feels like a bait and switch to get us to migrate to Data Center and then force us to Cloud.

3 comments

Comment

Metin Savignano March 21, 2024

Vendor here, and in fact, we've been thinking that free open source licenses were available for Data Center.

Have you included the link to that article in your request? Sometimes the Atlassian help desk team are not aware of all the options that were announced. I have experienced that myself (with another type of free license) when they first rejected my request, and I had to point them to the published document before they approved.

Ryan Butler March 21, 2024

I did not include the link to the article. However, after their initial reply, I challenged what they were saying and the rep reiterated and seemed very certain that this was no longer the case.

I must inform you that Data Center applications are no longer eligible for a non-profit discount. However, you might be able to obtain promo codes to help mitigate the cost directly from the vendor of the applications. You can directly contact the vendor to request these promo codes, which I would be more than happy to help you apply. There's even a possibility that they might be able to provide a promo code that covers 100% of the cost. As these apps are managed by third parties, this request would need to go directly through them.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2024

Hey @Ryan Butler

I'm also running a Confluence Datacenter for an NGO - and use apps with DataCenter licenses which I've initially obtained via that request form you've mentioned above.

At the same time, I'm also working for a marketplace partner and I'm also not aware of that change. I'll ping some people to get more insights into this.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Taylor Light
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2024

Hi @Ryan Butler -

Thanks for your post. My name is Taylor Light, I work at the Atlassian Foundation and have recently begun managing our discounted license programs for nonprofits, academic institutions, and students/teachers.

I absolutely see your confusion here, as the blog post titled "Introducing Data Center Community licenses" does explicitly state that Marketplace apps are included in the Data Center Community license program.

After making some changes recently to our discounted license programs, we have noticed (as you've called out here) some inconsistencies with our internal and external information regarding what products/apps are included in these programs.

I am currently working with our team internally to fix this problem and provide clearer guidance to your team (and nonprofit teams like yours) that can help with pricing/costing decisions around the use of our products.

With regards to your specific issue, Marketplace apps not being included in the Data Center community license program, I will be looking into this discrepancy this week and will share more with you when I hear back.

In the meantime, would you be able to share your Community license request support ticket with me (tlight@atlassian.com)? I would like to look at your specific case as I review the Data Center community license program's product/app availability.

Best,

Taylor

Like # people like this
Ryan Butler March 25, 2024

Thanks for your reply, I sent you an email with the ticket number.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2024

Please also share the solution here afterwards so that everyone else knows how to handle with community licenses for marketplace apps.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events