Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Jira to transition from MS Project Server

Raymond J Wohltman December 15, 2022

Hello, I'm a Jira newbie, who has considerable project and program management experience, and has used and configured MS Project Server at several clients. Our company is moving away from MS Project and into Jira. I'd like to be able to do the following:

1) Import MS Project schedules into Jira and have it recognize important fields.

2) Import a template and use it to create new projects in Jira.

3) Use Jira to manage Waterfall projects and present the users from MS Project with a screen to use that they are comfortable and familiar with. 

4) have it recognize a hierarchy, such as Portfolio --> Program --> Project and be able to do project prioritization and portfolio management reporting. 

I know this is a lot to ask, do I need specific addins? Does Jira handle Waterfall projects well?

Thanks, Ray Wohltman

1 answer

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

Hello, @Raymond J Wohltman , and welcome to the community.

Jira is very different from Microsoft Project.

That being said, I'd suggest that you explore the following resources so that you understand how the native (included with Jira) and extended apps (purchased and installed from the marketplace) can solve your use cases:

These are some additional add-ons (applications) from reputable vendors on the Atlassian Marketplace:

In general, a project in Jira is a collection of issues, and the Basic roadmaps can display 2 levels of hierarchy for just 1 project: epic > story. This is a limitation not advertised as it should be.

The Advanced roadmaps can display multiple issue (work) levels from multiple projects. You may configure Advanced roadmaps to organize work visually in Programs > Projects > Teams > work items (or whatever hierarchy works for you).

Jira Align goes even further in terms of capabilities (and at a cost).

I'm also interested in other community members' experience with your questions.

Regards,
Kalin

Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2022

I can also point you to WBS Gantt-Chart - Enterprise Project Management for Jira , an addon that allows you to import Microsoft Project files. I think it's worth giving it a try: Importing Microsoft Project files to Jira 

Regards.

Like Sean Osawa at Ricksoft likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events