Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is it possible to put validation on the fields to prevent incorrect entries

Is it possible to restrict entries on different fields to stop people inserting spurious information by using validation?

2 answers

That is very useful. I was under the impression from what I had been told that there was no way of using validation within JIRA. 

The validators in Cloud were very limited until relatively recently (I think there were only two available!), that's probably what people were working from when they told you that before.  Now, we can script/automate/add-on plenty of them, so it's no longer true.

Brilliant. Thanks for your reply Nic. Yesterday I was made aware that different areas within this very large organisation are using the same fields to hold different types of information so it might not be practicable to use validation at all.

1 vote
Benjamin Community Leader Sep 03, 2021

Hi @Chris Waller 

In addition to the validators, you can also narrow down the values by using single select custom fields. Also, add description to display for the user understand the value they're selecting.

-Ben

Ben,

Thanks for the info. I will certainly pass this on to my colleague who told me in the first place that you could not put any kind of validation on JIRA.

Benjamin Community Leader Sep 06, 2021

You welcome. There are definitely options available. All items that were mention can be found in the Atlassian documentation which is a great resource to look up features and capabilities.

-Ben

Ben,

I think I will take a look at the documentation.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you