Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchy and/or Nesting for JIRA Tasks (JIRA - software)

Ania Bodeit December 8, 2021

Hi Everyone,

I am totally new to JIRA (though certainly not new to software products).

My client would like to create a hierarchy for their Tasks.  We are using JIRA Software - Software Product (Company-Managed project).  The client is interested in having a Sprint with a number of Epics, and under the Epics that would like to have Tasks.  Under these Tasks they would like to have "Child Tasks".  Something like this:

Sprint1

> Epic1

>> Task1

>>> ChildTask1.1

>>> ChildTask1.2

>> Task2

>>> ChildTask2.1

>>> ChildTask2.2

> Epic2

Is this possible?

I know about SubTasks - that is different.  They actually want "Tasks" and "ChildTasks".

Thank you,

Ania

5 answers

3 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Florian PEREZ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2021

Hello, 

If you want a real hierarchy (a hierarchy understood by Jira) there's just 2 level possible

Epic > Task > Sub-task

This is the only real hierarchy without additional plugin.

You can add some kind of dependencies between issue by using links, but again it's not a real hierarchy.

Hope this help! 

Yes, that's great, thank you.  I mean, I was kind of hoping that we could have more of a hierarchy, but now I can give my managers a proper substantiated response.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Johnny FromCanada December 8, 2021

AFAIK, not possible with Jira proper (aside from Subtasks).

Consider Advanced Roadmaps (Premium tier), which introduces the "Parent Link" custom field, and enables hierarchy to apparently arbitrary depth.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-custom-hierarchy-levels-in-advanced-roadmaps

We've looked at Advanced Roadmaps.  If my understanding is correct, Advanced Roadmaps allows hierarchy to be defined above an Epic.  Is that right?

So, you cannot actually define a hierarchy between Epic and Story, or between Story and Task.

Johnny FromCanada December 9, 2021

“Cannot” is a strong word.  Jira is flexible to do pretty much whatever you want.  But OOTB, it will not necessarily provide you structured ways of doing so (which is what you seem to be requesting).

In Adv Roadmaps config, you can add layers above the Epic “level”, but not below.  You can change the issue type at the Epic level, but not remove that level.

AFAIK, Jira itself does not afford OOTB a structured way to represent a hierarchy below Epics.  The relationship between Epics and standard issue types (Story, Bug, etc) is long-lived and structurally embedded in the Jira GUI.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Scott December 8, 2021

For context how do you see "SubTasks" being different to "ChildTasks" are you referring to name or do you mean by function?

By "ChildTask" I mean it is of type "Task", but it is a child of "Task".  So I would expect both "Task" and "ChildTask" to have to ability to have a "SubTask".

Nick Scott December 9, 2021

Thanks for clarifying! florianper's answer sums it up.

0 votes
Medhat Ahmed December 8, 2021

Create a new issue type and name it "Child Task" and make its type subtask

please let me know if this satisfy your requirements or not.

0 votes
Rajendro Sau December 8, 2021

This is possible. Can I guide you? how to do...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events