Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Issue

Oshadhi Vindhyani December 5, 2023

How to delete an issue (type-task)  that was created by me? I can't find any delete option when I go to the issue click the link and go to "Äctions " there is no delete option. 

Project type- company-managed scrum 

Access Level - Jira Admin 

Product - Jira cloud software 

Plan-  Standard

4 answers

3 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2023

Hi @Oshadhi Vindhyani

you should check out the permission scheme of your project. There's a Delete Issue permission which enables assigned users, groups or roles to delete issues.

However, I'd recommend deleting issues only in exceptional cases - once you've deleted them they're gone, you can't get them back. Often people rather have a separate status as @tomas_lakatos suggested to sort out the issues you don't want to have.

Cheers,
Matthias.

That's a great idea. I should look into that. But for this task I need it delete it peremranly.  

Alexis Evans December 5, 2023

I agree with all of this. I also want to add that you can archive issues rather than deleting them in case you ever do want to get it back. Alternatively, since you said you do want to delete it, you could export the issue to a CSV or similar and save it off first just in case; then, you'd be able to reimport or at least see the information if you ever needed to. Just do an advanced search (using JQL) to search for just the issue(s) you want to delete, and then export to CSV through the options in the top right. (I will say I don't have cloud, so I don't know for sure if any of these features are different, but I figure there must be some way to export issues, right?)

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jennifer Parker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2023

If you go to the task page (atlassian.net/browse/task name-1234) there should be an icon with three dots, click it, delete should be under "Clone", if not you do not have the permissions to delete a task, you will need to ask your project admin to delete it.

Oh.. Now I understand. Even if I Jira admin if I'm not adding myself to the project by adding "Project Admin" I can't delete tasks. Thanks, Jennifer. This is helpful. 

Like Jennifer Parker likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
tomas_lakatos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2023

What I do in such case is I put its status on "Cancelled". It is probably on purpose that tasks can not be deleted, but how exactly one should handle it is probably dependent on the defined workflow. I didn't yet see a workflow where you'd handle it differently though.

Thank you. I want to delete it. Not sure about a workflow though. Still figuring out things as I'm new to Jira. And I also have to find out how to add a status as "Cancelled". 

2 votes
Niranjan V December 5, 2023

@Oshadhi Vindhyani ,

In my Jira account, I have the same access and the same plan active, and I can see the "Delete" option in the actions menu.

Yes. I am 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events