Using Jira for personal development

Pedro Jaramillo June 23, 2019

Hi!

I've been looking for apps to help me better manage my time. I first encountered the Toggl app and fell in love. A bit later (by chance) I found out about Jira. i know that this is app is designed manage development for game studio projects (for example), however I wanted to try using it just to better manage my time and achieve personal goals.

So far i'm loving it. I find that the scrum type project is better for my purposes. Most of the goals i'm trying to achieve using this app are not related to my occupation. As such. planning just 1 week ahead is perfect to follow things like exercise, courses online, timed clocked reading a book. Btw, I still use Toggl along with this app to measure the time i'm spending on each activity as a lot of the "tasks" in my "sprints" are of the "read for x amount of hours such book" or "work for about 4 hours on x online course".

I really have not much else to say. Decided to post this just to reach level 1 ;-)

I'm still a newbie using this app so if you have a similar experience or you any advice that you think would help me use this app for my purposes, please don't hesitate to share.

5 comments

Comment

Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2019

Hi @Pedro Jaramillo - That's really cool! I love seeing people use Jira in unique and unusual ways. Would love to see more about how you're using it once you're further in to your journey.

Lynda Lopez February 1, 2020

I use Jira for all sorts of things, from personal development to shopping list to learning tracker.

I never lose a topic for studying when I put it in an issue on Jira.

Yasar S August 24, 2020

I'm also trying the same. Using my personal growth items(apart from my daily job), like getting some training, doing some POCs, etc. And with the available visualization tools in Jira, I am liking the way of my improvement(like I'm a product and designing roadmaps for myself). 

SK July 29, 2021

Hi,

I created a JIRA just for personal development, any JIRA agile experienced person wanna guide me in this project . May be an hour per week of guidance would do,

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2021

This is such a great idea. I do something similar with my team at work. It's really helpful to keep personal and professional improvement opportunities in sight, because as we all know out of sight = out of mind.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events