Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out

matthew arnott September 11, 2020

Hi

I'm starting out doing a project and thought it useful to try use a tool. Jira was suggested and while I'm sure there are many out there, I'd like to choose one and get familiar with it so Jira it is. 

I am using the free version for under 10 users. 

I'm trying to understand what I can actually do with it and this is not a'how long is a piece of string question'.

Seems I can create a few 'boards' or different parts of my project if thats the correct use of the boards. 

Then it seems I can create an issue which can be 

a bug 

a story

a task 

an epic 

I can then assign this to someone in the team (set up as part of the team).

However if for example I want to store meeting notes or draw some diagrams or whatever it is then it seems the only way to do this is to use one of these - like  the story for example and record my notes there. 

I appreciate that the story function is probably meant for something more like story cards or similar. 

Am I missing a whole lot in terms of the basic functionality - is there somewhere best to get a tutorial. 

Many thanks

Matt

2 comments

Comment

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2020

Hello Matthew.

It depends what you want to do. If you want to manage a project, Jira Software could help you. It allows you to create agile projects (scrum or kanban) and assign issues.

If you want to store meeting notes, you may want to take a look to Confluence. You can use it as a database to store intel and manage your meeting notes for example.

You can find webinars to get started here for example.

If you have a few more questions i'd be happy to try and answer it ;)

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2020

Hi @matthew arnott,

Welcome to the Community!

@Flavien Gache has offered some great advice, I'd also add that you might want to check out the Atlassian University's free training catalog: https://training.atlassian.com/free-training-catalog

Specifically the "Learn Jira Basics" which should be the first item in the catalog.  That should give you some examples of how Atlassian intended the products to be used (I'm not saying that's the only way to use them) which should get you started on your way.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events