cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Software / Service Management / Work Management

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2021

Back in the days when animals could speak, there used to be a single Jira - imagine that! But if you're getting started with Jira today, there's several tastes and flavours of the tool:

• Jira Software (more info)is built mainly to support software teams plan and track their (mainly agile) development work visually using scrum and kanban boards. The tool comes with several reports and integrates nicely with the technical tools developers use to write and deploy code.
  • Jira Service Management (more info)targets support teams, both in IT and in enterprise services. It is designed to manage incoming requests, triage those in a timely and properly manner and stay on top of Service Management goals (SLA's).
  • Jira Work Management (more information ) is the latest addition to the suite of Jira products, with a primary goal to offer fast and easy task and project management functionality to business teams (think HR, marketing, sales, legal, ...)

It is obviously a good idea to choose the right Jira version for your team to find the best fit with the way you work. At the same time, it may very well be the case that a feature of one tool is a great fit for the type of work you might be doing in a different tool.

I was wondering what Jira version your team is working in primarily and what feature from another Jira version you would really like to have there too (and why).

3 comments

Comment

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2021

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout  for bringing this into discussion.

I am also eager to hear community thoughts on this. I hope there might be more customisations in future based on needs and I would not be surprised to see hybrid models. 

One small suggestion, Is it fine to mention Jira Align - https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/align along with these ones ?

Cheers

Suvradip

Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2021

That's a very valid topic to bring to the table, @Walter Buggenhout . 

I always thought how it would be if JSM tickets can be put into Kanban boards internally by an IT team of JSM agents or other like teams and make it easy for them to prioritize (based on urgency, SLAs, complexity, etc.) and address easily. While I am aware that this could be done today using queues, I am not sure if there is any other easy way.

Also, in JSW, is it possible to show issues from different projects from different Jira instances on one Jira dashboard? I know this could be done using third-party apps (not sure about dashboard solution though), but a native Jira solution will be the best. 

-Kris 

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2021

In the past I've always struggled with the situation, that business teams wanted to use boards to be able to visualize their work, so they had to have Jira Software licence, even though they didn't need all the software features. Also they had difficulties, how to use Jira at all and navigate through it, because it was primarily focused on software teams and their needs and style of work.

So I'm very thrilled about the Jira Work Management, I believe it will help me with both these problems.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events