Does anyone use Kanban boards for managing an IT Disaster Recovery testing?

Bret Justus July 13, 2021

Hello.  I am new to Jira and am looking for an example workflow to use that would support the many different types of tasks I have during a recovery exercise.  I was thinking about using these for the statuses:  To Do, Next, In-Progress, Delayed, and Completed.  Then use these swim-lanes to group like tasks:  Setup, Platform, Database, Application, Business Service.  My goal is to make recovery tracking and testing more efficient and easier visually than using Ms Excel.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bret

2 comments

Comment

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2021

Hi @Bret Justus ,

first of all, I believe the usage of Jira instead of MS Excel is a right step!

But I think it will be very hard to find some example, which would fit your needs. Each company is different and has different processes and steps.

If you share more details about the processes, we can try to help you, but these kind of things can be very complex and maybe it will be the best to ask some Atlassian partner to help you with it.

First step is a detailed analysis:

• Which users are involved? In which tasks/steps? Do you need help from other teams?
  • Which tasks do you perform? Are these always the same or are there any differences?
  • How do the steps for each task look like? Are these always the same or are there any differences?
  • Do you need to store some additional information? In which tasks/steps?
  • What about the visualization - what do you need to see? Based on what you will know, where you are in the process?
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2021

1. You can definitely setup a workflow with the statuses you mentioned. (To Do, Next, In-Progress, Delayed, and Completed)
2. Then you create issues/tasks and add labels to it eg: Platform
3. Then in your Kanban Board, you configure swimlanes based on Queries and add JQL eg: labels = Platform

This way you can visualize the progress of your tasks on your Kanban Board. :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events