Difference between different products under Atlassian?

Rahul Bhansali September 11, 2021

Hello guys,

I am new to the world of Jira as transitioning from a Sales Manager to role of a Business Analyst and hence have been using the platform for a while (as part of one of my pilot projects). Can you plz help me understand the different products under Atlassian's umbrella and when it'd be the best scene to use them like Jira v Jira Service Management v Jira Align , as well as Jira v Confluence v Trello ?

Thanks

4 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2021

Jira (Core) is a simplified project management tool for customers looking to do issue tracking.

Jira Software adds tools to Core, aimed at developers, especially those working in Agile ways (the main thing you'll see is that Software adds Kanban and Scrum boards to support those two methodologies)

Jira Service Management adds Service Desk and Service Management functions over Jira Core (ITSM functions like customer requests and portals, service level agreements, asset managment, knowledge bases etc)

Jira Align is aimed mostly at larger development organisations that want to do Agile at Scale - it's intended to sit over the top of a set of Jira Software projects and provide all the layers up through SAFe, LESS and DAD (and it'll happily support other frameworks too)

Confluence is a wiki.  It's there to allow people to collaborate on writing stuff for other people that's instantly available, live, accessible and easy to maintain (no faffing around having to edit documents and think about storing them or how to get them visible to the right people)

Trello is a light but powerful tracking tool, generally for small teams with little need of tracking or reporting because they work closely together.  It's often likened to "the post-it notes and magnetic notes on the 'fridge at home" although it's a bit more powerful than that.

Like # people like this
said kouzibry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2021

This is probably the most useful description of each product. 👍

Paula Hidalgo September 13, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  - great answer! BTW, Atlassian just renamed Jira Core to Jira Work Management :)

Like Rahul Bhansali likes this
Rahul Bhansali September 13, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-thanks a ton for your answer...I can (at this stage) relate to Jira (Core) having tried my hands on it so far. But certainly, as I progress further, your answer is gonna help me.

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2021

Hi @Rahul Bhansali 

What is Jira?

Jira is Atlassian’s proprietary and the most popular enterprise-grade issue tracking tool that allows users to track bugs, resolve issues, and manage project functions. It is a fully customizable platform that helps teams of all sizes manage their work. Jira was originally a bug and issue tracking system, but over time, it has evolved into a powerful work management platform. It offers bug tracking functionalities right out of the box, but also offers a plethora of customization options to act like a helpdesk system, a simple test management suite, or a full-featured project management platform with end-to-end traceability.Jira also has capabilities to meet Agile project management needs. It allows you to design, manage and customize all kinds of tasks, workflows and reports, streamline the project management lifecycle. It provides a shared platform where team members can share access to the same information and track development changes, thus minimising costly time delays and eliminating organizational silos. It connects people, activities and tools to help you make great products and help you collaborate better with people that all have the same goal.

What is Confluence ?

Confluence is a shared workspace that allows teams to collaborate better on mission-critical projects. It is a collaboration wiki tool that stores and organizes all your content around the project – from meeting notes to strategy documents and design documents, and IT documentation. It helps teams create, store and share information efficiently so that they can take decisions faster and meet the needs of customers more effectively. Confluence is a knowledge base that mainly performs the functions of content management – creation, organization and storage – but it’s how Confluence does these things make it so different than other collaboration and content management tools out there.

Thanks,

Mayur

Like Vronik likes this
Rahul Bhansali September 13, 2021

Thanks @Mayur Jadhav , this certainly helps. I can relate more to Jira at this stage as I am yet to try my hands at Confluence. Can u plz also help to understand Jira Service Management and Jira Align.

Thanks

Calen Nora September 16, 2021

I think the main thing to notice is the Atlassian guidance I always took the best guidance or suggestions to make my projects attractive as you can see here.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2021

Great summary @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- and  @Rahul Bhansali I would recommend you to go through https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/other-atlassian-evaluator-resources/overview-of-all-atlassian-products or bookmark this for future reference.

Hope that helps.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events