Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user product access

Joe Gomez January 26, 2022

How can I prevent new users from being assigned to JWM? It seems it's tied to the Jira Software group and the checkbox is grayed out to remove the license when setting up new users.  

I've looked at group and product access settings and I see no way to disable this as "new users have access to this product" is already turned off.  I should not have to create a new user and then remove the license every time.

I'm glad I discovered this was happening now while we had less than 10 new users.  I added this feature months ago to test out and had forgotten about it. This is very bad business practice on Atlassian's part. We shouldn't be unknowingly forced into adding users licenses by default. 

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Coline Laprade March 28, 2023

Hello!

I am reviving this topic a year later. 

I am having exactly the same issue as Joe Gomez. Every time a user is added and if the one adding him doesn't pay attention to untick the JSM box it is consuming a JSM license. How can we have this box untick as default so I don't spend my time controlling how many JSM license we are distributed to users who don't need it? 

8a8e2c4d-cd96-4ee2-8dc1-96faf3d403f0.jpg

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2022

Hi Joe,

JWM is the base Jira product. And then Jira Software is added on top of that. So they will always have JWM. But you can control access using the Permission Scheme(s) used by the JWM project(s).

Joe Gomez January 27, 2022

Seems like another way Atlassian is trying to milk unsuspecting customers out of money. Can you explain how to use the Permission Scheme to prevent this? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2022

Not sure how providing a permission scheme for a base product will milk customers - but okay. 

For the Permission Scheme - just change the Browse Project permissions to determine who can see the project. 

Joe Gomez February 2, 2022

Automatically adding a license for a product that costs money when provisioning a new jira user is milking.  I'm not sure project permissions is the issue here.  All I'm asking is for a way to create a user without them being assigned a license automatically.  

Like Frank Dropmann likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events