Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS and mail notifications for Jira newbie

Yoann Gini October 29, 2019

Hello

We are evaluating Jira Service Desk for our company, to handle the support@ e-mail and we have some issues.

Here is the explanation of the global situation and issue we are facing, with specific questions in bold.

First, for incoming request that need to be assigned, the requester get a notification confirming that ticket got open, however, we don't get any notifications as member of the project, neither as iOS push notifications or by e-mails.

Only Slack notification to a channel are working.

We would like all the Service Desk Team to get notifications for new tickets.

If I assign the ticket to myself, I don't get any notification for my new task, but maybe that's because assignment is to myself? I didn't yet tested with an employee. And the customer don't get neither a notification telling that someone is working on it.

I would like to be sure that assignment to someone else generate a notification to inform them for their new duty.

I would like to inform the customer about the progression of the ticket.

When we do the first answer from the web portal or from the app, the requester get an e-mail notification presented with a sober look (with support for the dark mode, and really light "structure" for the message.

I would like to simplify even more the format of those end user notifications to make it look even more like one of our regular e-mail (displaying agent informations as signature, etc).

When the user send a response by e-mail, we get both iOS and e-mail notifications, but nothing on Slack. And the e-mail notif sent to the agent is a old school HTML content with box based graphics and no respect for dark mode. The end user also get a notification about the ticket state changed to "waiting for support answer"

I would like to use a more sober notification style even for agent, with a more formal content placement to improve readability

I would like Slack thread based capabilities to exchange with the end user

I would like to avoid notifications related to status change generated by requester adding comment to the ticket (but still keep state changes notification if those are manually set by the agent such as "on hold" or "Manager validation requested" or whatever we could need in the future

When we close the ticket, the end user get a quality review as we asked.

I know I'm asking a lot here but I'm still evaluating the solution and I'm not sure if it could match our needs or not, and since we are a tiny team, we can't get access to Atlassian support.

If you've complete or partial answer to my questions, it would be awesome, or if you've a good blog post describing how to configure the solution for what I'm trying to do that could be great too!

Thanks for all upcoming help :-)

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2019

Hi Yoann,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

We are glad to help you with these questions, thank you for all the details. For the answers to be more clear, I'll add your question and the answer below it.

Also, just to let you know that during my answers I will mention Classic Projects which are the more complete projects for Jira standard and Next-gen that is the type of project you are using.

We would like all the Service Desk Team to get notifications for new tickets.

• On next-gen projects we don't have the Notifications menu as we see on classic projects, so currently, we can't configure agents to receive notification for new tickets. We have a feature request suggesting this ability. Please, check the link below for more details:

I would like to be sure that assignment to someone else generate a notification to inform them for their new duty.

• This would be the same as above since we don't have the notification menu in next-gen, we can't configure that.

I would like to inform the customer about the progression of the ticket.

• Customers will receive any public comment and when the status is changed. You can find all types of notifications in Project settings > Customer notifications.

I would like to simplify even more the format of those end user notifications to make it look even more like one of our regular e-mail (displaying agent informations as signature, etc).

• If the end-user is the same as customers, you can customize the template and the notifications. You can also find this option on Project settings > Customer notifications. 
  • To edit links, click on Edit templates, where you can access the HTML and CSS. If you just need to change the text, click on Edit for the desired notification.
  • Related to agent signature, this is not possible to add. We also have a feature request suggesting this:

I would like to use a more sober notification style even for agent, with a more formal content placement to improve readability

• I'm not sure if I understood correctly, so I'll share a documentation and if that's not the case, please let us know more details about your question and what would you like to achieve for Jira + Slack in this case.

I would like to avoid notifications related to status change generated by requester adding comment to the ticket (but still keep state changes notification if those are manually set by the agent such as "on hold" or "Manager validation requested" or whatever we could need in the future

• If it's related to agent notifications, then it's the same answer to the first question, because by default the assignee will receive a notification if the customer adds a comment and if the status is changed, because they are watching the ticket to receive all notifications.

When we close the ticket, the end user get a quality review as we asked.

• You can enable and disable Customer satisfaction (Project settings > Customer satisfaction) that will be sent to the customer once the ticket is resolved.

You can find more details about next-gen projects on the documentation below:

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Yoann Gini November 10, 2019

Hello Angélica

Thanks a lot for your detailed answers!

As a note to what I've said, I use the terms end-user and customer for the same purpose: employees of the companies that are in contract with me, the person that will benefit of the support work we intend to do with Jira Service Desk.

Here is few additional questions I have for you based on your post.

Also, just to let you know that during my answers I will mention Classic Projects which are the more complete projects for Jira standard and Next-gen that is the type of project you are using.

Next gen seems more suited in term of UI and simplicity than classic one for my needs (public support portal for my customers).

However, NG seems really unfinished based on your comments. Could you share what the "level of maturity" for NG? What is it made for and for which scenario it is suitable right now?

On next-gen projects we don't have the Notifications menu as we see on classic projects, so currently, we can't configure agents to receive notification for new tickets

That's part look unexpected for me. How can we work if we don't know there is additional incoming request? What's your workflow model in such situation? You may have different work pattern here that I may learn.

• I'm not sure if I understood correctly, so I'll share a documentation and if that's not the case, please let us know more details about your question and what would you like to achieve for Jira + Slack in this case.

What I would like is to have Service Desk Notification showing up in our Slack dedicated support channel, with the ability for us to use Slack Threads as answer UI: we add a message to the Slack thread created by the Service Desk message and the message we will be used by Jira as a comment to the ticket and so generate the Service Desk e-mail notification sent to the end-user who opened the ticket.

Is it possible?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2019

You are welcome, Yoann!

However, NG seems really unfinished based on your comments. Could you share what the "level of maturity" for NG? What is it made for and for which scenario it is suitable right now?

Next-gen is more simple, for small teams. 

You can find what customers are asking for next-gen on the sub-tasks of the feature below:

That's part look unexpected for me. How can we work if we don't know there is additional incoming request? What's your workflow model in such situation? You may have different work pattern here that I may learn.

You can use the workaround that is mentioned on the feature request to alert users about new requests while this feature is not available.

It’s a simple automation that runs when a ticket is created and you can add users or teams to be mentioned, which will generate a notification.

Screenshot 2019-11-13_10-16-21-008.png

What I would like is to have Service Desk Notification showing up in our Slack dedicated support channel, with the ability for us to use Slack Threads as answer UI: we add a message to the Slack thread created by the Service Desk message and the message we will be used by Jira as a comment to the ticket and so generate the Service Desk e-mail notification sent to the end-user who opened the ticket.

I’m not sure if this will be possible, because according to that link I sent you, it adds a link to the message as a comment, so probably the comment will be internal. I didn’t find anything related to Service Desk to tell you for sure what are the steps to do that.

An option is to use API to develop something that may accomplish this. 

Yoann Gini December 4, 2019

Hello @Angélica Luz 

Thanks a lot for all your detailed answers.

I've followed the workaround related to new ticket notification, creating a bot to mention people.

It mostly works except for one thing: me, as project owner, do not get the notification even if I mention myself.

Indeed, the automated process as to be run as me to be able to add the mention, but I don't get any notification if I mention myself…

Is there any option that can solve this? Is it possible to have a free user just for bot usage?

Thanks a lot for your help

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2019

Hi Yoann,

You don't receive notifications because, by default, we don't receive notifications of our own changes.

For that, you can go on your Profile picture > Settings > Notifications of your changes > Notify me.

After that, the changes you made and when you mention yourself, you will receive notifications.

For the automation, it's necessary to use a licensed user because it's the only way to get permission.

Yoann Gini December 5, 2019

Thanks a lot for your help @Angélica Luz

It's working now, however, it could be really great to have automation working with unlicensed user dedicated for that purpose, a service account.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events