Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Authenticate to Jira using REST APIs Self Token through POSTMAN

GouthamKumar Kuchibhotla June 27, 2022

Hi,

based on documentation available on Atlassian sire , I have created an API token for my cloud jira account.I am trying to Authorize using Auth type Basic Auth,User:email Password: Token. But unable to make a successful authorization request. Have tried in keeing same data in Header->Authorization section with Basic and Token. But still error remains same as

"Basic authentication with passwords is deprecated. For more information, see: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/deprecation-notice-basic-auth/"

appreciate your help to get resolve this issue. How can I make successful authentication to Jira using REST API Token mechanism in POSTMAN.

2 comments

Comment

Curtis June 27, 2022

In Postman, under the "Authorization" tab, select the type to be Basic Auth from the drop-down menu. Then, over in the right section, enter your username into the username field. In the password field, you will enter the token that generated when creating an API token.

You shouldn't need to enter anything in the Header tab dealing with username or password/token.

Hope that helps!

GouthamKumar Kuchibhotla June 28, 2022

Hi Curtis,

Thank You for your reply. But I tried the same steps as you mentioned but not successful.

when I send request as POST by calling rest api the Header is automatically considering the Authorization param. May be its a feature default. I am getting same error as mentioned below. somehow I could not able to upload the error image of postman. (If its visible its fine)

REST API which I am calling was: https://<mydomainname>.atlassian.net/rest/auth/1/session

POST method. No body mentioned. Only Authorization data mentioned as per your steps. I am receiving below 401 Error message. 

"Basic authentication with passwords is deprecated. For more information, see: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/deprecation-notice-basic-auth/"

Any suggestion what mistake I am doing. Please help here. 

Thank You.

Curtis June 28, 2022

You are getting that message, because you have your password in the password field. That is no longer supported, due to new 2-factor authentication validations.

You need to generate an API token. Copy the generated token and enter that into the password field in Postman.

GouthamKumar Kuchibhotla June 29, 2022

Hi Curtis , Just reconfirm it.Its not my matladatam password I have copied ,I copied the API token itself which was got generated for my user.

The mentioned error I am getting post sending the request with API token itself.

Hope you get it now.

Awaiting for your suggestion to get resolve my issue.

Thanks in Advance 

Reposting correct sentence 

"It's not my atlassian password"

Curtis June 29, 2022

Are you logging in through an organization? You may need to put your email as the username.

No with my gmail account .

I am keeping username as my gmail id

And password API token in Authorization with type as Basic auth

Casper Andersen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 5, 2024

DId you solve this issue? I facing the same, my error messege is "Client must be authenticated to access this resource."

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events