New to JSM and need setup help

Kevin Tunstill December 16, 2022

Hi, I am brand new to JSM and really need help in setting up my IT Service Management help desk.

I have only installed the software and had a look around, but I am afraid to dig in as I have no idea what I am doing. Can anyone help me?

7 comments

Comment

Gareth Jones December 16, 2022

I've just gone through this process myself having recently moved to JSM. 

I honestly found the best way to learn was to set up a few instances of JSM and just played around with it. It's hard to know what you need to learn until you hit hurdles.

Start out by reading the documentation, that will give you an idea of the thought process behind the platform: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/resources/

Then just try setting up a few test instances and see how you get on. You'll find you get more and more specific questions as you're running through the setup and then people will be able to help you a bit more directly.

Gareth, thank you very much for this. I really appreciate it.

Chingiz Fazliahmadov December 16, 2022

Hey @Kevin Tunstill ,

I am attaching a useful link Get started with Jira Service Management for admins  that will help you in setup your JSM project.

Thank you Chingiz

Does anyone know how to integrate Jira with Azure AD or 365 so that users can be added without manual input?

Gareth Jones December 16, 2022

It's not something I've dealt with yet as we use JSM for external facing clients, but when we researched it ourselves it appears you'll need Atlassian Access subscriptions too. They cost around $4 per user per month so it can get quite pricey quite quickly.

You can have a play around with pricing here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/access/pricing

Your other options are to import all users into JSM using a CSV list, although this would obviously not have the benefits of linking directly to AD, it would just speed up the manual user creation.

If truth be told, the user management in Jira is pretty poor. You can create organisations and customers but it's a slow process. I would also expect to be able to hold more info under organisations than you can. Simple things are missing, like a way to store customer addresses or phone numbers under that org. I wasn't expecting a full CRM system, but at least to be able to store key info about accounts would be nice.

Don't get me wrong, JSM is a solid tool. And even with some of it's limitations it still won out for us due to flexibility and cost. Some things just need a bit more thought than you'd have hoped to need to put in though.

Suposed December 16, 2022

Thank you for sharing this note and suggesting how to merge JSM with the CSV list.

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2022

Don't be afraid, the sooner you start digging in the sooner you become a pro.

I would suggest to start from a template, check how things are organized there, start using it and remove what is not needed step by step. After getting some experience you may create a blank project from scratch and move all requests from old project to new one. 

Watson Anikwai January 17, 2023

I wish I had read the Get Started Doc before poking around for Jira Service Management. See the link Jira Service Management 

I would suggest spinning up an instance and then using the guide to get started.

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2023

I just started digging in.  I do lots of searches for "Atlassian JSM xxxxx" on how to do stuff.  There's the support, Community, and jira sites for looking up KB articles, community help and existing bugs.  Good luck!

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2023

Take advantage of the Sample ITSM project!  I still keep it around for reference, but it's hidden from users and hidden in the portal.

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2023

It's been a few months since your original post.  How's it going @Kevin Tunstill ?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events