It was good while it lasted - I couldn't even get past getting it installed.

Syed Haider July 8, 2020

After spending weeks looking at options for a ticketing solution, YouTube videos on different products for my small 400 employee company, I messaged support with my silly questions in excitement and I was so excited to get Jira Service Desk installed and and use it. There is no ticketing system in place at this time.

Unfortunately my excitement turned into frustration after spending a whole day today trying to just get it installed on my server from scratch. The only thing I did differently was try to make it connect to my MySQL db hosted on a different server and I just could not get past the dreaded "Could not find driver with class name: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" message while configuring database at first launch. First someone said that this might be due to re-distributables and then it might be due to java not pointing correctly and then maybe the MySQL connected (mentioned in the manual) needs to be downloaded and copied to the bin folder, and list goes on.

Why, I ask why is there even an install process when it doesn't go through some sort of check process before even installing itself into a folder? Whatever happened to pre-install requisites check? So here I am looking at config check java and all sorts of batch files now.. I am going to step away for a few hours and give it one last try tonight before going to sleep.

Call me dumb, point fingers or laugh; I am just burned out now. It was great and wish I could have really tried it but if this is the experience now then I am worried what will happen in future. Somethings are just meant to be.

3 comments

Comment

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2020

Hello @Syed Haider ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community! 

You have chosen a database that hasn't the driver bundle with installation due licenses issues and you need to follow this step 2. Copy the MySQL JDBC driver to your application server

• Download the recommended MySQL driver JDBC Connector/J 5.1.
  • You can download either the .tar.gz or the .zip file by selecting the 'Platform Independent' option. Extract the jar for the driver (e.g. mysql-connector-java-5.x.x-bin.jar) from the archive.
  • Copy to <Jira installation directory>/lib/
  • Restart JIRA

The above steps will allow you to continue your installation, I hope this issue doesn't change your first impression of JIRA, it's a great tool and I hope it will help your team;

Cheers,

Like Kat Warner likes this
Syed July 9, 2020

I ended up installing MySQL locally on a different drive to alleviate some issues and am running into the next error now - MySQL is now configured properly.

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2020

Great that you were able to make the driver works.

Now about your MySQL, can you confirm if you are editing under the [mysqld] tag?

I've in the past an error when I tried to modify under [mysql] instead of [mysqld], and that was failing to restart my service.

If you are hosting JIRA with AWS I would recommend evaluate the usage of a RDS, this will make your database administrative task (such as backup and restore) much easier.

Let us posted with your progress!

Syed July 9, 2020

Woohooooo!

hallelujah!

grazie!

shukran!

gracias!

I am in! Database is now being set up by the app.

"Please wait while the database is set up. This may take a minute..."

Gallen babes December 2, 2020

Basically you will be doing the trade in an inactive workflow after which setting it to energetic. That's what lets in you to do the changes you want

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events