How to connect a web application to Jira Service Desk Cloud?

Anil Reddy February 5, 2020

Hello Atlassian,

I need a helping hand in connecting a web application to Jira Service Desk Cloud. The articles being posted or the documentations are quite confusing to me.

I would be really grateful if I would get a clear picture of how it is done. 

My main requirement is to have a particular web application pass data over to the JIRA Service Desk and make few updates (say create requests, add customers, so on). 

Hope I have been clear in my question. Looking forward to your answer.

Best Regards,

Anil

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2020

Hello @Anil Reddy ,

Connecting an external application or website to Jira to create issue will use the Issue collectors feature , However the issue collector is a Jira Core feature and  Service Desk was not designed in a way that was intended to be used with the external collection of issues in this way but rather a standalone funneled issue intake approach separate from this feature. 

Service Desk is designed to Intake external unlicensed user requests, as a two way communication point, where issue collectors are designed to create issues mapping to an internal user or collect feedback from unlicensed users without a point of two way communication.

That said it is possible to use it in Service Desk, but there are some limitations in doing so to know about, and this point with workarounds noting the limitation is covered in more detail on how to do can is covered really well by my associate in the following post discussing this in more detail:

Primarily focusing on the Points that Service Desk is designed to Intake issues Via the Customer Portal directly or via the email address for the portal.  Also pointing to the feature requests to make an integration point possible:

I would recomend that when using Issues collectors that they be used as a method to intake feedback in a Core or software project if the intent is not to have a two way conversations with the customer, OR redirect the customers from the alternate system to the Portal or email for two way communication support options.

Please check this information out and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Earl

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events