Can an email request be more than one issue type

Kimi Nakashima September 25, 2019

I'm new to Jira and trying to make sense mail handlers and email channels. We are using service desk and what I've found in my searches tells me that mail handlers are not the optimal way to handle emails in service desk. However, I'm not sure that email channels work out for me either.

Currently the way things are set up in our project, incoming emails have a request type of "email requests." "Email requests" request types are linked to an issue type of "email requests". This means that all emails are essentially the same issue type, even if they actually should be something different. So emails about incidents end up going through the same workflow as emails that just have general questions. Up until now, it wasn't a big deal because the existing issue types actually have the same workflow. But now I'm being asked to introduce a new issue type with a completely different workflow. 

The incoming emails that would be associated with the new issue type would be coming from one email address. Is there a way to have emails from that email address have a different issue type from all other incoming emails?

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hi Kimi,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

As per the details you provided, you are using a next-gen service desk project.

Currently, on next-gen projects, only one request type can be associated with the email channel. It's possible to have two emails (you can add a custom one), but both will be associated with the same request type, it's not possible to change.

We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:

For classic service desk projects, you can add any request type with a more complex workflow to receive requests by email, but to use that only the summary and description of the field can be required, all other fields must be optional, otherwise, the ticket won't be created.  

So, reading your question, I believe that the best option would be using a classic project while that feature is not available, so you will be able to create this new issue type, associate it with a workflow and then associate with a request type for your email channel.

For more details about classic projects and how to configure, you can check the documentation below:

If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 30, 2019

Hi @Kimi Nakashima ,

Do you use Server or Cloud? If you use Server and are interested in a solution - that requires a 3rd party workflow app - please let me know. If you're on Cloud there is unfortunately no solution I'm aware of right now.

Cheers
Thorsten

Kimi Nakashima September 30, 2019

We're on cloud, so it looks like the 3rd party app won't work for us.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events