Best Workflow For K-12

Stephan Baum-Harvey November 16, 2020

Hello all,

Wanted to ask the community if anyone else is using Jira Service Management for K-12 institutions and what workflows you have setup? We are new to using Jira and are looking for good examples of workflows in a K-12 setup.

Any ideas and feedback are welcome!

1 comment

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

Hi Stephan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Workflows are based around your processes. I am not in a K-12 environment (although I have a degree in Secondary Education!) and not sure there are many here in that type or organization. 

So, my question would be what would you like Jira to help with? What processes/workflows would you want to be in Jira? 

Stephan Baum-Harvey November 18, 2020

Hello John,

We are currently just using a simple workflow:

tYzRqf

We are mainly just looking for some best practices when it comes to workflows and would love any recommendations about good workflow setups. 

Thanks - Stephan

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

The basic rule is that you should start with what you have now as a process. Map out the workflow based on that. Then take a look at your process to see if anything looks wonky or has too many steps and adjust your process from there. 

There are so many rules and situations that have to be done at each school district or even school that it is hard to suggest a generic catchall workflow. 

Also, you will probably want multiple workflows because you have multiple processes based on the type of work you are doing. 

I will say for the workflow that you posted, I wouldn't call it simple  :-)

There are tons of transitions connecting all of the statuses (steps). You might want to look at just allowing All issues to transition to each status, then place conditions on the transitions depending on where they are coming from. 

It could look something like:

screenshot.png

Backlog Pullable is our To Do status. 

Stephan Baum-Harvey November 19, 2020

Thanks so much for the information will keep that in mind!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events