Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for Using Due Date

Nancy Arnold January 11, 2022

Hi, can you provide me with the best practices for using the Due Date field.  Specifically, if the Jira board is set up with work phases of "Development" "SQA Testing" "UAT Testing" "Done", should the Due Date be for the Development work only or include the activities associated with all phases through "UAT Testing".  Note, the SQA Testing and UAT Testing Phases will be re-assigned to someone else to perform.

Thank you!

Nancy 

3 comments

Comment

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2022

Hi @Nancy Arnold

I would use different customfields to ensure that they are unique for your testing purposes.  For us, we only use "Due Date" as the date when the issue should be completed by.  But you can repurpose it to whatever you want.  

The other issue is that it's a system field, so you should not modify it.

I hope this helps.

Nancy Arnold January 11, 2022

That is a great suggestion of using custom fields.  Thanks so much for your quick response and helpful information. 

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Hi @Nancy Arnold

Apart from your question, you might also consider using a separate "Test" issue type with a different workflow (f.e. pass, fail, re-run) and link the tests to your original story or task. Those issues can have their own due date.

Just wondering: Are you using Jira Service Management for development? (since you posted your question in this group)

Nancy Arnold January 14, 2022

Hi Dave, Thank you for the great suggestion. I am not familiar with issue types having a different workflow.  I will need to investigate that further.  

Thank you,

Nancy

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2022

Hi @Nancy Arnold 

I think the overall due date for an issue should be the 'end' date, but if you're splitting it into smaller tasks that could have an individual due date

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events