Automation for adding labels when user replies to tickets.

Theodoros Karipidis May 5, 2021

Hi team,

We were investigating a way to have a queue with the "to do" tasks concentrated for our agents.

We came up with an automation, which will add a specific label to the ticket, every time that a customer will add a comment.
And when the assignee replies back, the automation will remove that label.
After that we set a personalised queue for the agents, and in general it worked pretty well.

But we face only issue.
The automation is using, lets say, "atlassian.bot" user as actor.
And when a change is done from that actor, "a label is added"/"a label is removed", that will pop up in the bell notification, which will result in a massive/useless amount of notifications, to the point that the agents can not longer properly track the important notifications.

My question here is... which is the best way to filter out those notifications?

Keep in mind that we do need to use the bell notif. area, since the agents can get notified for mentions, tags, etc.

2 comments

Comment

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Hi @Theodoros Karipidis , if you're using Edit action, there is an option to disable notification. DId you try it?

Selection_268.png

Theodoros Karipidis May 7, 2021

Hey Martin,

Thank you for your reply.

That is already deactivated for all actions in the automation rule.
I have a feeling that this is coming from the Jira notification side, instead of the automation.

I just have no idea where to look for it.

I even try to create a rule (Project settings -> Notifications), to block all notifications from that specific user, which also did not work.

Untitled.png

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2021

Hi @Theodoros Karipidis

if I understand you correctly Automation is setting and removing labels, perhaps alongside with other desired actions that are required for your teams.

At least setting and removing labels trigger, from what I know, an "Issue Updated" Event.

This event then leads to have an email send - namely where your notification scheme it says it should go to.

So, from the last occurrence here in Community you would have to inspect your Notification Schemes but I am not aware of any option to say "when Automation updates the label, please be quiet, in other cases send the mail".

Regards,
Daniel

Theodoros Karipidis May 10, 2021

In the Notification Scheme -> Issue Updated, I see an option to block all messages from a specified user.

Based on that is it safe to assume that I can block ALL notifications from the "jira.bot" user (which is also the automation actor)?

I am trying to find at least a work around, since as it is, the bell notification icon is pretty much useless, since it has +3 notifications for every action taken, and as a result we lose the actual meaningful notifications.

Untitled.png

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 11, 2021

Hi @Theodoros Karipidis ,

Unfortunately, this looks like some has added a custom event called 'Disable Notifications' to your event list (accessible via %yourSiteURL%.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ListEventTypes.jspa).

That said, you can't block the notifications with that configuration, but you are in fact sending a notification to the jira bot user, when the custom event is triggered.

Theodoros Karipidis May 11, 2021

@Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ that is correct.

The person that set up this project probably created this as well:

Untitled.png

But when I see that, it gives me the impression that what I am trying to do, is in fact possible.
I just can't figure a way to actually do it.
(yea... I am pretty new in the whole Jira universe)

Do you have any suggestions?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2021

I agree with @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ that your requirement will not be met by that way of implementation.

The "Disable Notifications" event as such is fine. You could involve it in any post function of any Workflow (transition) you wish to be "silent" (depending on your actual notification scheme but it *could* be used to make a perfectly silent transition).

However, the operation on labels will trigger an "Issue Updated" event - this cannot be adjusted by putting a new event "Disable Notifications" to Jira - there is just no dependency to the "Issue Updated" event.

The only option I recognize here is to adjust who is receiving notifications (as per notification scheme) for the "Issue Updated" event.

Theodoros Karipidis May 15, 2021

@Daniel Ebers do you have any other (potentially better) way to suggest, in order for us to achieve what we are looking for?

The goal is for the agents to have a queue, which will show only the tickets that got a reply from the customer.

We could do that with transitioning the ticket to "In Progress", but for several reason that could not work for us.

Any ideas/workarounds are welcomed! :)

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2021

You probably could set a label upon reply from a customer and maybe remove it as soon as the Agent replies.

Using Automation this should all be possible.

As Queues rely on JQL you would need to filter for the label.

Theodoros Karipidis May 19, 2021

@Daniel Ebers actually this is exactly what we do.

This is why we are also trying to "filter" the notifications for "Issue Updated" actions.

Each addition/removal of that label, is sending a notification as well.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2021

I see, yes, this will count as "Issue Updated" event. From my understanding you cannot suppress notifications in a way you want it to work.

You could remove some recipients from Notification Scheme but this is probably not what is desired (it would affect many other updates to issues, too).
To my understanding you configured everything like it should be and how Jira now behaves is by design, at this stage.

So in summary: for filtering a label works, but it sends a lot of noise through.

Like Theodoros Karipidis likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events