Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation - create an issue and then update that new issue

Mary Mascari May 17, 2022

I have an automation that will create a new issue. I then need to update the request type on that issue I've just created (either that, or I create a request type and then update a field on that same request type).

How do I refer to the "new issue" within the automation? 

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Answer accepted
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2022

Hi Mary, 

I can think of 2 ways to set/edit the request type of an issue. 

1. Use the Create service request action instead of the Create issue action. This will allow you to set the Customer request type field to the desired request type at issue creation.
    Option1_CreateServiceRequest_Action.png
  2. Add a Branch rule action after the Create issue action, setting the related issue type to Most recently created issue. Then within that branch add an Edit request type action and choose the request type you desire.
    Option2_CreateIssue_EditRequestType_Actions.png

The Branch rule action using the Most recently created issue related issue type is how you can refer to issues created within the same automation rule. 

Mary Mascari May 18, 2022

I'll have to try the Branch rule action - I didn't know about that. Thank you.

(If I create it as a Service Request, I end up with the same problem because I can't copy over the Insight object field at creation)

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2022

The Create service request action might actually work for you. 

1. Use Create service request, and set the request type
  2. Use Branch rule for the Most recently created issue
  3. Use Edit issue to copy the Insight object field value from the trigger issue.

CopyInsightObjectField_AfterCreation.png

Would this achieve your goal?

Like Matthew Challenger likes this
0 votes
Mary Mascari May 17, 2022

2022-05-17_16-00-46.jpg

Here's the step where I create the issue. For the next step, I want to update the request type of this issue.

I don't see an option to set it at creation (unless I do it in the "More options" section?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Hi Mary,

Can you post the rule that you have so far that creates the issue? 

Why don't you add the update right after the create? Or even include the value for the field when you create the issue? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

When you click on Choose fields to set ...  you can't find the Request Type field? 

Alex Sandro Gross May 17, 2022

Mary Mascari May 18, 2022

Nope. Not sure why it's not there, but it isn't. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2022

And this project is a JSM project? Because I see the Request Type field in the dropdown under Choose fields. 

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2022

Hi John, if you try selecting the Customer Request Type field on a Create issue action the following error message will be displayed. CantUseFieldCRT.png

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2022

Ah, that's good to know. That should work though. :-)

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2022

Yeah I think it should work as well. I'm curious to know the reason why editing that field has to be done within its own Edit request type action. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2022

I am sure there are a lot of other things tied to it. I remember that they only added that function in the past year or less. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events