Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manage the creation of issues via email?

Thomas January 29, 2020

Hi Community,

In the project where I work, we're just starting to use the Jira SD Server. Issues will come from users through two channels: via portal and email. The email must be the main/priority channel for creating Issues. For this purpose, we have configured the Mail Handler (a screenshot is attached).

Jira mail handler.jpg

But here are some problems:

1. The user can send an email not to the address of the Jira SD but to someone who was working on his problem earlier.
  2. The Subject of the email may be changed (this is one of the options that may go wrong).

Questions:

1. Is it possible to make the person who received the email send it to the mail address of the Jira SD, and the system will automatically set someone else specified in the email as the Reporter, not the one who sends the email? For example, I receive an email from a colleague and forward it to the Jira SD where the issue is automatically created. The system will select me as the Reporter because I'm the sender of the email. I need to forward the email to the Jira SD, but so that the person who originally sent it to me and was the Reporter of this Issue. Is it possible to do this, and most importantly, how (using the Jira SD or third-party apps)?
  2. How can I track the Issues, except the Subject of the email, otherwise can the Jira SD track Issues except for the Subject of the email (by the text of the email or by some other criteria)? At the moment, changing the Subject of the email will create a new Issue, which is not satisfactory at all.

Many thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

Dear @Thomas ,

from the screenshot I can see that you user the standard email handler of Jira Core and not the specific one for that SD project.

Please follow this link for details. This is the preferred way by Atlassian.

But if you know what you do, can you tell me the reason for your configuration?

So long

Thomas

Thomas January 30, 2020

Hi @Thomas Deiler,

Thank you for your recommendation. I am a new user of the SD, so I learned a lot from your link.

I'm going to try to give you an example, and what I need to implement.

A customer (jack@customer.com) sends an email an employee (john@mycompany.com) instead of the SD mail box (support@mycompany.com). The employee would like to tackle the use case via SD rather than a standard email conversation with the customer. So the employee could reply/forward the email to both the customer (john@customer.com) with copy to SD mail box (support@mycompany.com). There are a few problems with this approach.

• The employee will be the reporter/sender of the email instead of the customer. 
  • The employee may not want to be involved, he wants the ticket in the SD queue so the ticket is handled by the team (but most importantly, when an employee forwards an email to the SD, the Reporter must be the customer).

I don't know how to do it with the existing SD facilities, so I'd appreciate your help.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2020

Dear @Thomas ,

in this case, and this is pest practice not just for Jira Service Desk, the employee (john) will open a ticket directly in behalf of the customer (jack). Forwarding the mail is less efficient. Agents can do this:

This practice is also done when someone rings the support by phone. The agent will create the ticket and not ask the customer to do. Of cause with the hint to use the portal next time ...

So long

Thomas

Like Thomas likes this
Thomas January 30, 2020

Thank you so much, Thomas. You've been very helpful.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events