Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add subtasks

Heino Søndergaard Pedersen December 12, 2019

Hello.

We're currently using Jira Service Desk on cloud. I've read that you can add subtasks to the pre-built service desk template, but i cannot seem to find a setting that allows this.

Am i missing something?

4 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2020

Hi @Heino Søndergaard Pedersen 

I understand that you are not able to create a subtask on a Jira Service Desk issue in your Jira Cloud site.  There are a few ways I could see this being possible.  For one, it might be that the issue types in that project do not yet have sub-tasks as a potential option. 

For another, it could be that the entire Jira site might have disabled the use of sub-tasks.  If that happens, it won't be possible for any project to add them until they are first enabled.  Let's check that first to make sure this is something you can enable. In order to check this, you will likely need to be a site-admin.  If you are not the site-admin, you won't be able to make this change yourself.  As a site-admin, select the Jira icon (, or ) > Jira settings > Issues > Sub-tasks.   An alternative way to reach this page would also be to visit the URL of your Cloud site that ends in /secure/admin/subtasks/ManageSubTasks.jspa

This page can tell you if the global setting is ON or OFF in terms of sub-tasks being enabled for the site.  If OFF, then you'll need to turn this ON first.   If you're still not seeing the option to use sub-tasks in that project, then you'll need to add that issuetype to the scheme that project is using.  Steps to do this are in Adding, editing, and deleting an issue type scheme.  In this case you could just edit the existing issue type scheme that project is using, and then add the sub-task issue type to it.  Once that is complete, you should then be able to create sub-tasks in that project.

Try this and let me know if this helps.

Andy

0 votes
Heino Søndergaard Pedersen February 11, 2020

This is still an ongoing issue.

0 votes
Heino Søndergaard Pedersen January 14, 2020

*Posted this wrong.*

0 votes
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

Hello Heino,

in the issue, click more and then create sub-task. Please mark this as answer if it resolved your issue.

subtask.jpg

Heino Søndergaard Pedersen January 13, 2020

That is not remotely how our version looks like.

We do not even have a "more" button anywhere.

Inked47a5908ae0d4f6968ebca0633ff65ae4_LI.jpg

Like Lenin Raj likes this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2020

You can click on the three dots and it will give you the options. Let me know if this answers your questions.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/create-issues-and-sub-tasks/

Create a subtask

A subtask can be created for an issue to either split the issue into smaller chunks, or to allow various aspects of an issue to be assigned to different people. If you find a subtask is holding up the resolution of an issue, you can convert the subtask to an issue, to allow it to be worked on independently. If you find an issue is really just a subtask of a bigger issue, you can also convert an issue to a subtask.

You can only create subtasks if your administrator has enabled subtasks, and has added the subtask issue type to the project's issue type scheme.

1. Navigate to the issue you would like to be the parent issue of the subtask you are about to create.
  2. Select more (•••) >  Create subtask. You will see the Create subtask screen.
  3. Fill in the details as needed, and then click Create at the bottom of the page.

Note that when you create a subtask, the following values are inherited from the parent task:

• project
  • issue security level

You can customize the Create subtask screen to show fields you use most often. To do this, click Configure Fields at the top right corner of the dialog, and use the All and Custom links to switch between the default screen and your custom settings. Your changes are saved for future use.

Like Lenin Raj likes this
Heino Søndergaard Pedersen January 14, 2020

All clicking the 3 dots gives us is the "add apps" option.

Inked 2.jpg

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events