Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting table column A-Z before hitting publish in Confluence?

Robson, Stephanie October 27, 2022

Hi, Q. Is there any way to sort a column in a table (a-z) BEFORE publishing? This would be an extremely handy feature when adding new rows to an existing table instead of having to insert rows mid-section etc. 

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lisa Gleinzer October 27, 2022

Sometimes if the initial data comes from an external source it needs to be sorted prior to publishing, so have that as a feature would be great! 

2 votes
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2022

@Robson, Stephanie welcome to the Atlassian Community.

The sorting feature is only available on a published page, not when the page is in edit mode. The assumption is that initial data is entered as you wanted it to appear and should not require sorting out of that order.

Hope this helps!

Curtis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2022

The sorting feature is also only available on new Confluence pages. If you migrated to the Cloud, or have an old page, then it will need to be updated to the new Confluence Page type in order to get the sorting for the tables.

Robson, Stephanie November 3, 2022

Thank you for the replies...I was hoping to create a table and as things needed to be added in the future I could sort and then publish.

For example a glossary of terms in a table. It seems to me, since I cannot pre-sort a-z, every time I add in new term (add new rows) the only way around this is to keep an additional copy of my page in an excel format and pre-sort and copy over into Confluence  each time. I appreciate the response and to me this feature is nice on publish end but would also be nice to give me the ability to present it a certain way to the end user initially. I guess I wish this feature existed in edit mode as I deal with constant updates and I like to be able to edit inside Confluence instead of uploading files.  I think maybe I will just need to keep in excel and add excel media macro instead. I hope this made sense! Thanks again.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2022

@Robson, Stephanie if we helped you, even if the issue could not be resolved, please mark the answer as accepted. 

Robson, Stephanie November 21, 2022

Hi, I think I did that now, please let me know if I need to do anything else. @Andy Gladstone - sorry, I clicked on answer accepted but did not see a resolved button. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events