Link to a file attached to a confluence page

Rachel Blakers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 4, 2019

Previously, you could link to a file attached to the same Confluence page by:

• typing "["
  • typing the start of the attachment name
  • selecting the filename from the list, which would then be displayed as a text link. 

In the recent editing updates (which are currently applied to new pages only) this does not seem to be possible. 

In the new editor typing "/" gives you a list of the available actions, but there does not seem to be the option to link to an attached file, and have the link displayed as text.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2019

Hello Rachel,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to have you join us!

As we roll out the new editor, some features that were formerly available in the old editor may not yet be available for use. We go over a few of these on our Confluence Cloud Editor Roadmap.

For example, I raised a feature request for linking text to attachments a while back, and you can find that here:

There's also another feature for linking specifically attachments as text:

I can see that specifically linking images as a link is in our short-term backlog. Linking attachments with text is not yet, but I believe the two should be related.

As a workaround in the meantime, you can obtain the URL for an attachment using the Attachments Macro on the page (. . . > Attachments). Right-click the name of the attachment and select Copy Link Address in your browser. You can then link text to that URL in order to link to the attachment.

Give that a try, and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events