cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML/CSS Jumping Around

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2019

I am having some issues where the HTML/CSS lines of code seem to be jumping around when engaging the button to turn on different styles (LIKE a heading/paragraph style)

It would seem that the HTML should be exact and start when I click and engage the button to turn on the header (say Line 124 begin and then Line 125 closed). I look at the source code and it is not matching the exact line from where the cursor is entered.

Also, does anyone know if Confluence uses HTML5 exclusively or if this shift in version could be relevant or not? Anyone have any other instances of the HTML jumping around on the lines from the buttons on the toolbars?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2019

Hello Carlisle,

To understand the issue you’re having a bit more, can you share if this is custom CSS you’re applying to your Confluence instance or is this a bug you’re experiencing?

If it is custom CSS, please share your Confluence server version and maybe some of the examples you’re using so we may attempt to recreate the issue you’re seeing?

If this is not a custom CSS issue, please let us know when you’re seeing the possible bug within the product. The version of Confluence as well. Screenshots would be extremely useful in the case to help find the culprit causing the issue.

Once we have a bit more clarity on where the issue is we will attempt to recreate and find the cause.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2019

We are running Cloud 6.9 in this instance.

The code on the Style button executes for example Heading 1 <h1></h1> on a certain line LIKE say 121 open and then it should close on the end of the line say 122 based upon the cursor placement of the beginning of the button to execute. It does not execute on those lines precisely, it seems to jump to say Line 129 which is just plain wrong mathematics. I can see this in the code.

These buttons just do not seem to execute opening upon the cursor point beginning and close upon cursor ending.

I am not certain if the it is a custom CSS issue or not. I do know that we have custom PDF template that goes executes for publishing at the last step, but I am not touching that executable file at this point.

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2019

Hello again Carlisle,

The issue you’re explaining does seem to be strange behavior. Confluence 6.9 is a server version which you may have hosted locally or offsite, Confluence Cloud version would look something similar to Confluence 1000.0.0-01234566789. The present version of Confluence server is 6.13. You may find all of the available Confluence version at Confluence Release Notes.

As far as the behavior you’re seeing within Confluence, we do need some context around where you’re seeing this. Any screenshots you may be able to provide will prove very useful in attempting to locate the location of the issues. If screenshots won’t capture the behavior fully you’re welcome to take a short video of the issue (ensure the resolution is high enough for use to see the issue at hand). You can use https://screencast-o-matic.com/ to capture video of the issue, or any other tool you’re already comfortable using.

Once we have additional context to the issue at hand we can attempt to re-create or find cause to the problem.

Regards,

Stephen Sifers

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2019

Again, the context was mentioned in the above, but I can elaborate on this one. The button does not open and close the <h></h2> properly upon execution of the button in the upper left corner. These style settings are similar to Word and should be executable on one click of the button to the exact spot on the cursor.

Example <h1> Community </h1> correct

WRONG <h1> Coommunity

The community blah blah blah </h1>

Thanks for the video tool. I might be able to capture something LIKE that on site. I will continue to research.

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2019

Hello again Carlisle,

We’re not exactly sure what the style button is you’re referencing nor do we know exactly where you are within Confluence when you’re seeing this button. Can you please provide a screenshot of where you’re seeing this button and CSS issue?

We look forward to your response to ensure we get your issue resolved.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2019

Well, for a mini-history lesson, Confluence was built on C/C++ base code with HTML, JavaScript, and CSS. It was built by Caroline and Kevin. Styles is simply the programming functionality from Word that was mimicked to Confluence for this one. Styles are use for the button functionality in the black and white tool bar underneath the browser.

Again, the headings are the buttons in the upper left corner similar to Paragraph, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. These buttons are the same programming functionality of MICROSOFT Word transferred over to Confluence for publishing volumes of documents.

I did confirm on site we are running different instances of Confluence (server and cloud) which is more than likely a cost save for our team. This issues might be isolated and I think it is to the fact that we are running a server instance and not the Atlassian cloud instance. 

More information later on this one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events