Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Link to an Image in Knowledge Base

Allison Beaudry October 3, 2019

Hi All,

Quick question for the Confluence Experts...

I am creating a knowledge base within Confluence containing User Manuals. Within these manuals are many different screenshots to clarify instructions within the manual. Each of these screenshots are named, pictured, and referenced throughout the manual. However, so I don't have to illustrate each screenshot every time it is mentioned, is it possible to just make an embedded link to a specific image within the manual? I have tried using the 'link' option, however that just lets me reference an entire page within Confluence. 

Thanks,

Allison

4 answers

1 vote
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2019

Hi @Allison Beaudry ,

The process Fabienne pointed out worked in the old Confluence Cloud editor, but it sounds like you have the new editor.

Fortunately, "Image as a link" is on the short term backlog for the new editor in Confluence Cloud.

In the meantime, perhaps this other workaround might work for you? It's what we're doing for now:

1. We're creating separate pages for frequently-used images (we are using a special image library space, but you could put them anywhere)
  2. Then on the documentation page where we want to reference/reuse an image, we're using the"Expand" macro, and inside the Expand macro we are inserting an "Include Page" macro to include the image page.

The "Expand" macro keeps the images from taking up too much space on a long documentation page, and creates a link you can customize that opens up to display the illustration if the reader needs it.

Hope this helps! -Sharon

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2019

Thanks @Sharon Helms

I was so confused!

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

Ok let‘s do it step by step

1. Put the image on page where you want it (let‘s call it Awesome pic page) -> Save
  2. Go to the other page where you want the link to have inserted - let‘s call ist documentation page
  3. Edit page
  4. Go to part where the link should be, now use mentioned Shortcut ctrl + m  (important you are setting a link not an image but ist will work trust me)
  5. Now you can search for the image you uploaded on Awesome Pic Page (go for  file attached to another page) enter name, choose site and you should find
  6. Tadaa - Image should be on the site and panel should be shown where you can choose between show as link or image
Allison Beaudry October 8, 2019

I followed your directions, it just isn't working!

So the ctrl +m (or cmd + m) shortcut does not work for me. It just minimizes my page. Alternatively, when I select the add image/file icon, it does not give me the option to link to an attachment on another page (See screenshot). If I select the image that I already attached to the other page, it just inserts the whole image. AGH! Why isn't this working?!

I also tried inserting a link and typing the name of the image file I inserted on the other page and it could not find it (see screenshot #2).

I really appreciate your assistance on this!

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 3.30.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-08 at 3.36.27 PM.png

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2019

I'm sorry I totally led you on a wrong way (because I trusted the documentation) - I was really confused that it just didn't work that I started to search for answers and stumbled across this which led me to this discussion

As you can see on page 1 - linking images or reusing images is not a thing cloud yet. WTF? 

The only thing that may help you is a "workaround" mentioned by @Helen Gosper here but only if you have an existing page you can work with.

Sorry again for taking your time for the wrong solution and not finding a solution earlier. 

Like Allison Beaudry likes this
Mike Barboni (alt) October 10, 2019

-

Allison Beaudry October 10, 2019

It's ok, Fabienne, thanks for trying! Thought I was going crazy there for a minute, glad that wasn't the case! Lol.

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2019

Hi @Allison Beaudry 

we have had good experiences using using a page as an image database (maybe one for each manual).

Do you want to show the image in manual or just show it as a link?
You should try adding an image 

image.png

or the link button. 

There you can choose from which site you wanna pick the image -> have a look on documentation -> Image files. You can also say how it should be shown -> image, link,.... 

I want to link to an image that is located on another page. However when I select the image that I have inserted, I do not see the image properties panel that you have pictured. All I see is this...Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 1.17.23 PM.pngwhich allows me to align the image on the page, but none of the advanced commands you have suggested.

What am I doing wrong??? FYI, I have JavaScript enabled on my browser.

Thanks.

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2019

Hmm... really strange! But we can get that. So you definitly wanna show the pic right?

How did you insert the image? Shortcut ctrl + m (cmd + m for mac) or insert image or did you set a link? 

Have you tried saving the article and edit it again - is the panel shown then?

I would like to only have to insert the image into one page and then be able to refer to it in following pages with a link, that way I am not cluttering up the manual with excessive images. However, it seems I can only link to an entire page, and not a specific image.

I have inserted the image in 2 different ways: 

-Dragging the screenshot from my desktop into the editing page. 

-Selecting the image icon pictured hereScreen Shot 2019-10-08 at 1.46.36 PM.png

I have the same issue with both methods.

I have also tried saving the article and attempting to edit, still no properties panel.

Also, I have attempted this in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox browsers all with the same results.

Like Helen Gosper likes this

I do not see an "advanced" or "other" section within "Macros". Also when I type anchor within the Macro search box, nothing appears (see screenshot.) Help!

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.42.46 AM.png

Also, I am using the Cloud version of Confluence. Seems like the Anchor feature might have been discontinued?

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2019

Hi @Allison Beaudry

Anchor is not a macro feature - it‘s part of a link, but an advanced link.

Did you have a look on my solution? Putting the pic on one page -> insert link and than choose the pic from the page and show of rather as a link or as an image. Might be easier

Bryan Musgrave October 8, 2019

Confluence cloud has different functionality for anchors. @Allison Beaudry 

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/confluence-editing-improvements-945107733.html#ConfluenceEditingImprovements-Anchors

Easiest way to get the correct link is use headers and the table of contents macro. The hyperlink that the table of contents macro will give you will act as a base to figure out what the URLs for linking would be. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events